Field torn up update

Many of our club members that came out to help with the field repair, after the truck incident, discovered how much dirt can be displaced in a few minutes. We filled up the tracks and then ran the club packer over it. I think in a few weeks with a little rain and luck we'll be OK. We have a program here in town called crimstoppers that offers $1,000 bucks for the arrest of a person that commits a crime. We added an additional $1,250 bucks to that. total of $2,250 bucks. The police and the city park authoritys told us that it was most likely done by school kids. I sent an e-mail to all the local high schools and asked them to read it during the morning announcements. If we don't do anything but make their pucker factor increase I will be happy. One of the guys that flys with us tells me that at the club he used to belong to, out of town, they had a guy that came in almost every week and tore theirs up. He always came in the same way. Bad mistake here!! They installed a 2x12 with spikes in the high grass right before the field. Well super stupid runs over it and begins to cut dounuts in the field. He doesn't realize that the airpressure in his tires is going down fast and a tire comes off the rim. Rim cartches on the runway and his truck turns upside down right in the middle of the runway!!! Needless to say he got caught and had to pay almost 15 grand in fines, impound fees and such, and Daddy sold his truck!! There is a glimmer of hope. Eddie Fulmer AMA 63713

Efulmer

That is indeed a step in the right direction.

Ask this guy a question for me. How would the club have felt if the "stupid" had been killed when the truck turned over? I also wonder how the legalities would have turned out had this happened.

Back in Michigan many years ago, people use to "discourage" snow mobile riders by stringing wire between trees. Until someone lost their head over it. Then the property owners were litigated out of existence. I fail to see a tremendous difference between that and spikes driven through a 2x12.

Reply to
C.O.Jones

What we need are more bleeding heart liberals who are more concerned with the rights of the low-life's who commit these crimes than the victims of the crimes. The guy who tore up our field, got his car stalled and destroyed got what was coming to him. Luckily, the land owner didn't get into any trouble. This same former land owner later confronted a couple of burglars the home of a friend. They shot him in the chest and face. He took the gun away from them and held them for the sheriff. His name is Ben, We call him "Superman"

Reply to
Bill

People like you make me sick. If the guy got killed we'd share a 6 pack - in our honor. It also would not be a 'club decision', as someone like you would rat us out. There are quite a few of us geezers who have done far worst than kill some asshole.

There is none.

Reply to
AAAlias

There IS a tremendous difference. Stringing a wire between trees is a direct attempt to injure the rider. After all the average snow mobile offers no protection to the rider and a wire would be a DELIBERATE attempt to injure the rider. An attempt to disable the vehicle on the otherhand is just that. If the driver is too stupid/drunk/careless to notice his tires are flat that's different. By your reasoning all controlled access spikes would have to be removed from parking garages and so on. After all what if the guy can't read, doesn't understand what tire damage is, or is just too wasted to care. Now they might get busted for failing to warn the driver, but then again if he hadn't been trespassing and vandalizing NONE of it would have happened.

Jim

Reply to
James Beck

You would fail to see the difference. The rest of us understand it.

There is a vast difference between using a tack strip to disable a vehicle, and using an object designed to injure a person.

Reply to
Paul McIntosh

Well ,the law applys differently in different parts of the world, around here I can have any numer 4x12 with rusty nails in it around my property, or property that I rent.

If someone would hurt himself after blowing the tires on my 4x12's it would be his problem.

Now for real life: Animals could hurt themself on the rusty nails (I like animals in general) People walking could hurt themself on the rusty nails (I like some people too) If a lowlife would crash his car and kill himself due to my 4x12's, I have killed another human (low lifes are humans too), and that would hurt me.... I would probably never get over the fact that I killed someone, I would never again find pleasure in flying and have to find another hobby. However, the risk of someone killing themself due to a flat tire is small, and I'm prepared to take that risk too...

In the case with the snowmobiles, I would put up signs first, and a nylon rope about 25cm above the snow, trust me, I have accidently run a snowmobile into a fence in about 80mph, it did get me to a hasty halt, and I did fall off, but the steel wire was elastic enough to slow me down enough to not hurt myself, a nylon rope would do the same, only in a more gentle way...

In none of these cases I would be held responsible, since the land belonged to me, or was rented by me, that's how the law should work in my opinion.

Reply to
GuW

Reply to
jim breeyear

Luckily is right! Vigilanty behavior should not be condoned regardless the reason. Two wrongs never have and never will make a right! On the other hand, self defense is another game all together.

As for being a liberal? I suspect I'm more conservative than you. The difference is, I seek peaceful resolution when possible. But am ready and able to do violence when the situation calls for it. Trashing some four wheeling trespasser is nothing more than sinking to his own juvenile level IMHO!

Reply to
C.O.Jones

Why does that not surprise me? So you may kill some asshole and have done far worse! Birds of a feather!

Just don't try it on me or mine. You might find you've taken on more than your pathetic little puds can handle!

Reply to
C.O.Jones

No Paul! I understand it quite well. That wire was quite a bit above the ground before the snow fell!

It's you who doesn't understand it. You who would take the law into your own hands. Then it would be you who would complain that the law never does anything! Or worse, that it was picking on you when it caught up to you.

I agree those who trespass and tear up a flying field need to be found out and punished. But to sink to the same juvenile behavior is not justified. Unless of course that is how ignorant you really are!

Reply to
C.O.Jones

That's how it SHOULD work, but there are all kinds of laws out there to protect the innocents (like the kids who really don't know any better). Things you do to protect your property could come under the attractive nuisance laws

Reply to
Paul McIntosh

BUT HE WON'T COME BACK! and that is the desired result.

Reply to
Paul McIntosh

Heaven forbid reason should rule! Stick to anarchy folks! It's good for the anti gun crowd! (hint: it gives them ammunition for their cause)

Reply to
C.O.Jones

Died during the commission of a crime, his DNA removed from mankind's gene pool.

Reply to
Joe D.

The secret of vigilantism is to get away with it. Injuring people does not lead to a satisfactory result. You should engieer non fatal accidents that resulkt in sever financial oss to the protagonists, by means that are nothing whatever to do with you.

And, indeed, that is precisely what is needed in many cases. The pint about many low life types is that they don't support civilised behaviour, only direct physical methods are of any use. However they have to be planned carefully and executed invisibly.

In the OP's case, I wqould say planting a barrier hedge to make it clear there is no way in, studded with spikes 'to tie the saplings to ossifer, I mean who drives throuhh a newly planted hedge except a criminally negligent vandal'...would be appropiate response. Or a disctrete sprinkling of Caltrops 'we have had two gangs up here ay night, honest, and one of them must habvve done it to the other lot. I can't see its ourt problem to check the perimeter for trash someone lese has left there?'

Take a tip out of Nixons book,. Credible deniability is all that is required, just don't keep any tapes....

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Maybe, but that's the only thing some poeple understand. As for being a vigilante or a defender...I'll defend my person and property by whatever means at my disposal to be sure the threat is ended. Don't know what part of the USA you're in, C.O., but sometimes it's a long wait for the law here in the South. Ya gotta do what ya gotta do. I used to live in a state with CCW-legal law, and I did. I moved to a state with a "right to carry" law, and I often do. Cops can't be everywhere at once, that's why responsible citizens sometimes need to act in their own defense. Dr.1 Driver "There's a Hun in the sun!"

Reply to
Dr1Driver

Sigh.......

the desired result? he'll end up finding some other place to cause havoc, get driven off from there, then eventualy come back.

you have not only stopped him from causing problems, but by failing to have his actions corrected, you have reinforced his habits of bad behavior.

he should be hunted down, caught, convicted and punished. then (possibly) he will understand that he did something wrong and keep from doing so again.

just try to convince me that ignoring a problem is a solution

Reply to
tater schuld

Our club contacted the local police district and the park rangers who set up a sting operation using off-road motorcycles to catch a few of the quadrunners. They had been tearing up our field, wrecking our safety fences, setting fire to our operation shack, and raising hell after drinking in the park where we fly. The parents of these miscreants had to pay large fines before getting their delinquents' vehicles back from the impound. We haven't seen hide nor hair of the scoundrels since the confiscation once word got out that it would cost them dearly to get their quadrunners back. We are keeping our fingers crossed that our problems have been solved. Joe L.

Reply to
JosLvng

So committing a crime is OK as long as it accomplishes the "desired result"? My but you are pathetic. I was wrong. I take it all back Paul. You wouldn't be sinking to their level. You'd be rising to it! As I'm sure would be several others here.

Reply to
C.O.Jones