Field torn up update

So committing a crime yourself is OK as long as it accomplishes the "desired result"?

Gee Paul, I was all wrong about you. You wouldn't be sinking to their level. You'd be rising to it!

Reply to
C.O.Jones

Notice how C.O. changes sides depending on which way the wind is blowing. Here in the South, we call that a Mugwump. That's a bird who sits on the fence with his mug on one side and his wump on the other, and he flies to whichever side is the most popular. He's been ragging on Paul for several weeks, now he's praising him...what a suck-up. Dr.1 Driver "There's a Hun in the sun!"

Reply to
Dr1Driver

Back when this happened, vandalism in this area was treated as a very minor crime, usually not worthy of law enforcement's time. When the vandals were caught, not much was done to them. This all changed in the late '60's, early '70's. One local guy had his property heavily damaged (Multi thousands of $$) by some jeep jockeys over the course of about five years. Pushed over the edge of tolerance, not getting any help from law enforcement, (Gee, we can't do anything unless we actually see it) he shot and killed two of them. Guy went to jail for a few years. (Later, I met him, nice guy) As a result of the publicity and trial, vandalism was taken a lot more seriously. There was a noticeable drop in the instances of this type of crime for a number of years. (Apparently, these idiots didn't worry so much about being fined or going to jail as what a 30-06 round does to someone when it hits them in the head). So much for "Peaceful resolution"

The guys who got their car stuck in our field didn't suffer any bodily harm. Our property was still usable after they were done, and likewise, their car was drivable. (After they replaced the glass, head and tail lights) Like our field, it didn't look to good with all of the dents, overall the guy who swung the bat thought it was a fair trade off. We didn't have any problem of this sort since. Bill

Reply to
Bill

You have an odd way of describing it but, if that's what you want to call it! Knock yourself out! No skin off my teeth!

Reply to
C.O.Jones

I'd say you were lucky! I know a few areas where your ball bats would have been answered with quite a few semi-automatic weapons. But of that's the way you want to go...........

Reply to
C.O.Jones

Geez, what an imagination apart from a lot of dumb claptrap.

Reg

Reply to
reg

You know what, since you are so gifted with being able to solve any situation, why don't you go to all these places and help them solve their problems. It is plainly obvious that you have all the answers already.

Reply to
Paul McIntosh

Dr.1 Driver,

I couldn't agree more with your statement.

And by the way C.O. (Kevie), ROTFLMAO!!!

Reply to
Herb Winston

According to the news from Iraq, this is a widely held belief in US 'intelligence'

Mmm.

Quis custodies custodiet?

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

for me. How would the club have felt if the

To the parents of young teens: Your teenage son/daughter are out crusin along with some freinds in a suv. The driver decides to have alittle 4 wheelin fun. Turns onto a dirt road that leads to an R/C club......does some 4 wheelin on the grounds but does not realize the spiked boards setup up by the club.....runs over them...blows tires...flips truck....son/daughter ejected from truck......son/daughter crushed and killed when truck flips onto them.

Vengence is a dish best served cold........as cold as the teenage corpse which will be laying in a casket in a funeral home.

Mike

Reply to
Mike R.

Should have had their seat belts on, it's the law

Reply to
O4U2P

Why wasn't the teenager wearing their seatbelts? Why didn't you teach your son or daughter to respect the property of others? Why didn't you monitor the friends your teenager goes cruising with?

It goes both ways. I would be crushed if my teenage daughter was killed like that. I hope that I taught her better, though.

question for me. How would the club have felt if the

Reply to
Paul McIntosh

Its also the law not to trespass and vandalize property.

Reply to
Paul McIntosh

Reminds me of guy in my home town that lived on a curve in a rural area. He got sick of having to replace his mailbox when it got hit by cars, so his last replacement was a piece of drilling rod off of an oil rig anchored by concrete with a steel plate welded on top to hold the box. A lady with her child in a compact car was his victim during winter, when her car skided on ice and she hit the mail box pole. The car was totaled and both the driver and passenger were badly injured. The home owner ended up with both criminal charges and a civil suite against him.His defense was that the woman was driving at an unsafe speed for the conditions and had to tresspass onto his land to hit the box. He lost both cases. While it is illegal to tresspass & destory a person's mailbox, it is also illegal to set up a situation to prevent that action by means which can produce injury and/or death. In both cases criminal and civil the homeowner would have lost had the victim been a someone who tried to run down the mailbox on purpose. The point is that setting up a barrier or trap that can cause death or injury to prevent an act of vandilism is not and should not be promoted or supported by the courts or people with common sense. For all the huffing and puffing I have read in this thread, is there anyone that can honestly say that the destruction of a field by a four wheel drive should be punisible by the death of one or more individuals? How about a dumb 13 year old on a dirt bike that decides to do something stupid like tresspass on the flying field? Yes, I beleive those that tresspass and destroy fields should be caught and made to pay for their damage and face a judge, but setting traps that can cause injury or death for vandilism is just plain wrong to any civilized human.

Bob Ruth

reader.com!news2.telebyte.nl!npeer.de.kpn-eurorings.net!nntp-peering.plus. net!ptn-nntp-feeder02.plus.net!landlord!wards.force9.net.POSTED!not-for-mail

Reply to
BobAndVickey

Thank you Bob. But there in lies the crux of the matter. I seriously doubt everyone here is a civilized human!

Waiting for your retort Paul!

Reply to
C.O.Jones

If the police actively pursue perpetrators for simple vandalism, the D.A.s actively prosecute for simple vandalism, and the judges actively punish for simple vandalism...in your area, then you are among the fortunate few.

The criminal must ultimately face the consequences of his actions.

Unfortunately, in this ultra-liberal world we live in, everyone is a "victim" except the REAL victim.

Dr.1 Driver "There's a Hun in the sun!"

Reply to
Dr1Driver

Many years ago, trappers would set up a 'spring gun' in their cabins. It was usually a shotgun tied to a table, facing the door, with a string tied to the trigger and the door. When the door was opened by an intruder, the gun fired, wounding or killing the person. After a bit of civilization set in, they were outlawed and the cabin owner would be tried for murder.

Anyone contemplating setting a hidden hazard on a flying field should be prepared to lose the field when the first victim sues, regardless of fault or trespass. . Arne, USA (being in cash in a down market is my third favorite thing) . .

Reply to
Arne

Ok.......ther all wereing seat belts.......truck runs over "unproffesinally installed truck trap" and spikes impails gas tank.....grinding metal causes spark..........truck bursts into flames...kills all people.

Reply to
Mike R.

| >To the parents of young teens: | > Your teenage son/daughter are out crusin along with some freinds in | >a suv. The driver decides to have alittle 4 wheelin fun. Turns onto a | >dirt road that leads to an R/C club......does some 4 wheelin on the | >grounds but does not realize the spiked boards setup up by the | >club.....runs over them...blows tires...flips truck....son/daughter | >ejected from truck......son/daughter crushed and killed when truck | >flips onto them.

Of course, this whole `driving around, not noticing the flat tire until you flip the truck and die' idea is extremely unlikely.

I'm not saying that a spike strip is a good idea, but it's not like putting that spike strip out is going to kill somebody. Yes, I imagine it's possible, but I'd suggest the odds are extremely remote. It's much more likely that they'd flip their truck on their own with no help from anybody. And even that's not very likely to kill anybody.

Somebody compared it to a wire at neck level across a trail used by snow machines -- I'd say it's not even close. That wire is *very* likely to kill somebody. The spike strip, no.

As satisfying as a spike strip would be, probably the best solution would be a big, heavy, locking gate, with heavy fences blocking any other ways of getting a truck onto the property. Of course, this may not always be possible or practical.

| Should have had their seat belts on, it's the law

Technically, you don't need to legally wear seat belts when you're on private property. So in that case, it's *not* the law.

Reply to
Doug McLaren

snipped-for-privacy@netzero.net (Mike R.) posted message IDon 22 May 2004

11:12:31 -0700