Little Depron Biplanes

Some time ago a parked my Comet Gull in the top of a 150' tree. We had a wind storm that night so it's reparable, but it needs some work to be flyable again, and my "paint booth" for doping tissue is the back porch of my shop which is a bit cold this time of year.

So I went to the hobby shop today and bought some Depron, hoping to build a little biplane.The Gull weighed 8 ounces and had solid, but not sprightly, performance on a GWS IPS power system with the 'A' gearset -- I'm planning on using this in the bipe. I'm thinking that something with about a 20 inch wingspan ought to be nice, particularly if I can shave an ounce or more off the airframe weight.

Anyone know if there are plans out there on the web, or in a recent magazine that may still be on the shelves? I'm ready to start hacking foam here.

Thanks.

Reply to
Tim Wescott

While we're on the subject -- what are good ways to finish depron? Since it's _supposed_ to be a quickie I'm tempted to just use the red sharpie in the drawer here (I've got a blue one too, so I can be patriotic) -- is there anything better?

Reply to
Tim Wescott

Foam safe rattle cans Airbrush with foam safe hobby paints.

Reply to
perttime

Sharpie pens leave a kind of "metallic" look to the coloring - kinda like anodized aluminum - and can get splotchy if ya go at it like a 3 year old.

I used Testor's enamel out of a rattle can on my foamie Edge 540 and it came out ok. Depron is a little hard to mask and get razor sharp lines but the paint does cover well.

Hobby acrylics work pretty good too, but don't seem to stick too well unless you wipe down the depron with some isopropyl alcohol first. (I used the 70% stuff then let it air dry for about 10 mins before painting)

I'm still experimenting with various paints techniques on Depron myself so not sure what's the "right" way to get it done.. There are quite a few threads on the subject over at

in the foamy forum.

Reply to
The OTHER Kevin in San Diego

The owner of the LHS has a really cool little Depron bipe that's got about a 30" wingspan and looks a bit like an Ultimate. I took a shine to it and he get managed to get his paws on one of the last kits that were available for me.

I haven't built mine yet as I was already in to my Edge 540 build up at the time, but it's next up on the "to build" list. I plan on using the same E-Flite 400 brushless motor/3 cell LiPo I'm using on the Edge. (TONS of power)

Shoot me an e-mail using the usual anti-spam deciphering techniques and remind me to dig up the kit's particulars. I think there's a picture on the assembly sheet as well. I can scan it and shoot it off to you if there is.

I assume you've checked out the usual sites like

and the like?

Reply to
The OTHER Kevin in San Diego

I haven't checked out the usual sites 'cause I'm brand new to foam. Got any others to suggest?

BTW: It looks like the site you recommend has downloadable plans, so you don't have to trouble yourself with scanning _your_ plans if you don't want to. They're all way bigger than the power system I have, but that's not a big issue for me -- I'm just figuring out construction techniques.

Reply to
Tim Wescott

Testors spray works. I used a great big marker on a test and it did NOT work. mk

Reply to
Storm's Hamburgers

Although Sharpie pens are quick and easy, they will fade rather severely in short time. Krylon "Short Cuts" spray cans are the cats meow for finishing Depron.

Randy Model Airplane Engineering

R.J. Roman

Actually, no. lol Google for Depron and airplane and you'll get a bunch of places to start.

Yeah, my Edge is loosely based on the 3dfoamy plans and took a bit of figuring how to build the thing. It flies pretty good on an E-flite

400 with a 3 cell LiPo. Hovers just about 1/2 throttle and will accelerate straight up from a hover if I pour on the power.

I'm going to build another one for a co-worker (well, he's gonna get mine and I'm going to build a new one for me) and will change up the construction methods a bit and add a couple small improvements as well.

Just dug out the bipe kit I was talking about. It's the "Ultimate Pro" made by Charger RC

but I don't see it on the web site. Span is 30", lengthis 32". Weight is 11-15 oz and power is

300-400 brushless. Says prop for an outrunner type motor is a 10x4.7 (same as I run on the Edge) or a 12x6 for a 6:1 geared setup.

I sent Charger RC an e-mail asking if they had this kit available anymore or wouldbe interested in making a few more.

Reply to
The OTHER Kevin in San Diego

Just received a reply from Charger RC. They've just finished cutting a few more of the bipe kits so they're available for $20. Includes carbon spar, linkages, motor mount and a graphics sheet.

I think I'm going to order 2 more

Contact Troy - snipped-for-privacy@chargerrc.com for info.

Reply to
The OTHER Kevin in San Diego