Replacement parts for 1/96 USS Constitution

At what point would it be better to just obtain a new model rather than ordering replace parts?

So far, nearly every page has detailed a part that was broken, shattered or has that much pitting that no ammount of putty strengthens the part.

Reply to
Wayne

About 2 thirds of the remaining unassembled parts of my 1:96 USS Constitution warped and buckled beyond repair... so I dumped the lot in the trash. It was not practical for me to source and buy the necessary replacement parts.

Reply to
fred

=== Did you buy this kit new, or did you buy it at a flea market? If new, take it back to where you bought it and get a replacement for the kit or your money back. If from a flea market (from someone other than new), you are up the proverbial creek without that very handy paddle.

If the broken parts are your masts/spars, you can make them from wood. I did that on my Heller Santa Maria, not because they were broken, but because the plastic ones began to sag from the rigging. That in and of itself is a very satisfying part of building tall ships. If you go that route and need some advice, let me know.

Strengthening parts is not one of putty's best qualities. Look towards 5 minute epoxy, or sheet styrene(spelling) with CA glue. If it is a mast/spar look for a piece of wire (piano, coat, etc.) to place inside the mast/spar. But then, see the previous paragraph.

Imagination - use it when trying to fix things. There are so many things around the house for fixing models. AND, if you are married, your wife should have all kinds of nifty little things in her cosmetics bag/box that will put the best hobby shop to shame. Whenever my wife gets a new gadget I always try to think how I can use it in my workshop - and if she sees my eyes roving over it, her words are always - DON'T YOU DARE!!!

Anyway, just a couple of hints to git you along.

Cheers,

Ray Austin, TX ===

Reply to
Ray S. & Nayda Katzaman

Bought new, sight unseen however.

I looked into that because one of the masts did snap, but I used a metal pipe with putty surrounding it to keep it in place. The mast does not bend now which may introduce a whole set of new problems because of its rigidity.

Generally I use metal piping, but Tamiya's putty, whilst not rock solid, has proven not too bad for rebuilding parts when mixed with testor's tubed glue. The result is a pretty hard piece, but may have the same problem as mentioned earlier - strong, but inflexible.

I have rebuilt as much as I can, the spokes of the capstan broke. To replace the spokes I melted some sprues in an old pot and made a template from aluminium (aluminum) can. In general that is what I have done for most of the parts. Others are just not possible and I have several parts left off.

Reply to
Wayne

The amount of dameged parts you describe make the kit unusable IMO. You shoudln't have to come up with all these fixes for a "new" kit.

I never had any problems with Revell-Monogram's customer service. I would recommend that you contact them and describe your problem. I'm sure they'll come up with a satisfactory resolutution. Assuming that thhis kit is currently in production.

Here is the info:

Peteski

Reply to
Peter W.

For all the patch work I have done, it would have been easier to return it for a less damaged one, however, it was the last one in the store, and to make matters worse it was the last one for the city.

To rub salt into the wound, the supplier (the same one does the majority of stores) had 20 on back-order with an expected delay of anywhere between 3 to 6 months.

I will contact them, at least if I can get replaced anything that is going to be visible, then at least then I will be happy.

Reply to
Wayne

I'm sorry to report that Al Superczynski passed away this morning in Little Rock, Arkansas after experiencing an allergic reaction. Many of you know" Super Al" from his many contributions to a wide range of modeling activities, including the Alps Decal groups, the Airline groups, Nostalgia groups, RMS, and Internet Modeler - to list just a few.

Al was about camaraderie, and was exceptionally generous in sharing his expertise and friendship. He will certainly be missed after making such a mark on our hobby and in the lives of those who knew him.

I will be attending his memorial service and would be happy to pass any comments to his wife and family.

Gene K.

Reply to
Gene K

That is terrible news. My condolences to his family and friends, many of whom are right here.

Gene K wrote:

Reply to
Willshak

Damn damn damn! This is really terrible news. Al was great to exchange mail with, he often spoke about modeling in Japan while he was stationed here, and I enjoyed very much interacting with him. It is a sad loss indeed. Rest well Al, I won't forget you.

Regards, Gernot

Reply to
Gernot Hassenpflug

That is a terrible news! My condolences to his family. While I didn't agree with his political views I was always impressed with his modeling knowledge. He was always so friendly and helpful here, on Hobby Heaven board and on all the Alps Yahoo groups. He always had so many projects going, yet he was never to busy to help out others. And the quality of his decal work was outstanding.

He departed this world way too soon. He will be missed by many. Peteski

Reply to
Peter W.

I'm speechless - Al in so many ways is RMS to me. The place will never be the same. Please make sure his family knows how many people that would never know Al in person came to think of him as a friend through his good and generous advice, knowedge and sense of humor that will never be forgotten and sorely missed.

Godspeed Al.

WmB

Reply to
WmB

don't know what to say.

  Gene K wrote: I'm sorry to report that Al Superczynski passed away this morning in Little Rock, Arkansas after experiencing an allergic reaction. Many of you know" Super Al" from his many contributions to a wide range of modeling activities, including the Alps Decal groups, the Airline groups, Nostalgia groups, RMS, and Internet Modeler - to list just a few. Al was about camaraderie, and was exceptionally generous in sharing his expertise and friendship. He will certainly be missed after making such a mark on our hobby and in the lives of those who knew him. I will be attending his memorial service and would be happy to pass any comments to his wife and family. Gene K.   I started lurking on this NG about 5 years ago. Al was the elder statesman. He was one of those who didn't need to beg attention. His expertise and willingness to share made him stand out. He is certainly a presence who will be missed here at r.m.s. Blessings upon him, and condolences to his family and friends. BobbyG
Reply to
Bobby Galvez

I feel like I just got a hole torn in life. I can't imagine rms without him. Please tell his family how much of a loss I feel. I'm sure it's a much bigger loss for them.

Bill Banaszak

Reply to
Mad-Modeller

I never met Al but we passed kits and mail back and forth a bit over the years. I still have our community box! I don't think Al ever let Dan's monkey get close enough to get him, (when he stopped by the Temple for a quick one) or let Dennis' catterwawling get under his skin, or tire of the Great 1/72 C-5 debate. ;-) I have to mention just one more item, though. When I asked about the best

1/72 P-51D, a long time ago, Al was one of the first to answer and the ensuing expansion of that thread, I'll swear is what led FSM to do the article on all P-51 kits out there. You did it Al!

Anchors Aweigh, Al

-- Chuck Ryan Springfield OH

Reply to
Chuck Ryan

I never met Al. I never called him. I never swapped kits or e-mails with him. I hardly even replied to his posts here. I had no idea about his politics, religion, marital status or age. Regardless, he will be missed by this inhabitant of the land down under. The RMS clubhouse will be a quieter, sadder place for his lack.

Please pass on to his family my thanks for allowing him to share his time with us, and let them know that he enriched ALL our lives, all over the world.

Rob Grinberg Australia

Reply to
AussieRob

Oh dear. I'm shocked and saddened by this awful news.

Al was one of the most helpful people that I've ever corresponded with on Usenet and he did an awful lot to make rms into the friendly community that it is. He will be sadly missed.

Reply to
Enzo Matrix

Gene, et al...

I'm a long time lurker but I just wanted to say how sorry I am to hear this.

My condolences to his family for their loss.

God Bless Al, and thanks for sharing your passion and your skills.

Jay Beckman Chandler, AZ

Reply to
Jay B

I'm stunned ,only last week Al responded to a question ,I asked in this group,his was the only reply.I guess that was because every one else knew that Als' response would be the right answer. When I first started reading RMS , the first people I "met" were Marv Howell and Al Superczynski two great guys I'm priviledged to have counted as friends.Sadly one is gone , forunately the other is still with us.

Thanks Al for being a good friend . Rest in Peace.

Please pass on my condolences to his family .

Reply to
Kevin(Bluey)

Wow... I am BUMMED !!!!!!

Please pass along my condolences, he was a GREAT human being !!!

I'm just very glad I got to hang out with him when he came my way ! (Wash DC) Al was priceless in person, and knew more about models that just about anyone I know.

He will be truly missed !!!!

And somewhere in his stash there is a vacuform F3D3 he manged to talk me out of. I didn't want to part with it, but Al was that cool a guy...

God bless him and his family.

Reply to
AM