Replacement for my old Sheldon?

Looks like my old 11X40 Sheldon has finally gotten to the point that in order to keep my business going, I will have to replace it. Problems with carraige, problems feed clutch, and now problems in the headstock. It's replacement will likely be one of the imports because I do not have the time to get into something that needs rebuilding. Ya'll have any suggestions as to brand? Grizzly? Jet? Enco?Wilton Birmingham? Can't afford much more than the imports and have fought the lack of parts for Sheldon all I care to. TIA

Reply to
GMasterman
[posted and mailed]

snipped-for-privacy@aol.com (GMasterman) wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@mb-m27.aol.com:

I will tell you that in my past experience, Grizzly is still one of the few with great customer support. You might read the thread on the Chaski Home Machinist about where a fellow bought a lathe from Grizzly and admitted to them he goofed. The story appears to have a generous happy ending.

Go here:

under the general forum for CRUNCH! (or do a search for CRUNCH!)

Marty

Reply to
Marty Escarcega

If parts and service are important, Jet and Grizzley are at the top of the list with the low cost import machines. With anybody else cheaper I'd do some serious investigation on what happens if something goes wrong or you need a part before you bought from them.

If you can stand some higher prices, companies like

,
and
come into play.

Whether you really get a better machine with those companies than Jet or Grizzley I'm not sure, maybe someone else can comment on that.

Good luck-

Paul T.

Reply to
Paul T.

Reply to
Wayne

MSC, their machinery parts support is second to none.

Gary

Reply to
Gary Coffman

facility last week. I am fairly impressed with their newer items. The better stuff is coming out of Taiwan and looks like real quality. If you are interested in a Jet or Wilton lathe let me know as I have access to the "scratch & dent" disposal and could probably get you a pretty nice machine for less then dealer's cost. Leigh at MarMachine

Reply to
Leigh Knudson

Where are you located?

Gunner

Confronting Liberals with the facts of reality is very much akin to clubbing baby seals. It gets boring after a while, but because Liberals are so stupid it is easy work." Steven M. Barry

Reply to
Gunner