Magnum 4-stroke price increases imminent

If you're considering the purchase of any Magnum 4-stroke engines in the near future, you might want to get off the fence and get them ordered.

This is normally the time of year when Global Hobby has run a sale on Magnum Engines, and many folks bought XL .91 RFS engines last year from Tower Hobbies for $119.99 each after discounts. I've been keeping an eye out for Magnum engine pricing changes as my favorite RC magazines have shown up in my mailbox, and it looks like this year will be different.

The April 2008 issue of Model Airplane News has a four page Hobby People ad in it, and the Magnum Engines pricing is on page 105. Instead of dropping prices for a big spring sale, it looks like 2-strokes are going to stand pat while 4-strokes are going up a bit.

$134.99 - XL-30RFS (up $15) $149.99 - XL-52RFS (up $20) $169.99 - XL-70RFS (up $20) $189.99 - XL-91RFS (up $20) $269.99 - XL-120RFS (same) $349.99 - XL-180RFS (up $10)

As I write this, Hobby People has apparently updated to the higher pricing on their website, but Tower Hobbies has not. You can still order Magnum

4-strokes at the old pricing through Tower, but I sure wouldn't wait too long for them to figure out Global is raising prices.
Reply to
Ed Paasch

-------------

Unfortunately, the real reason for the price increase is because of the devaluation of the dollar. We're getting screwed by the government again. Ditto the price of oil and the lack of sympathy for us by the Saudis.

Ed Cregger

Reply to
Ed Cregger

Yeah, it's one thing when the dollar is wilting in comparison to the Euro or the Yen. It's a little more depressing to watch the dollar devalue when compared to Chinese currency or the Mexican Peso. I'd hate to vacation in Playa Del Carmen next year and find out they no longer accept U.S. dollars!

Reply to
Ed Paasch

8< 8< 8< 8<

For whatever it's worth, I own several Magnum 4S's 2 30's, 4 70's, 4

91's, 2 120's. Buyer beware. Global does not often honor the warranties. I heard the same from some of our club members as well. The do run fine for the most part. I've had to send in the 30's and they did fix those. 2 of the 70's for which i had to pay for and one 90, again I paid for. I won't buy another, nor will I send one in for service again, I'm done with magnum's because of the warranty non- service. ymmv, and this is just one person's opinion fwiw.

Lew

Reply to
Lew

For whatever it's worth, I own several Magnum 4S's 2 30's, 4 70's, 4

91's, 2 120's. Buyer beware. Global does not often honor the warranties. I heard the same from some of our club members as well. The do run fine for the most part. I've had to send in the 30's and they did fix those. 2 of the 70's for which i had to pay for and one 90, again I paid for. I won't buy another, nor will I send one in for service again, I'm done with magnum's because of the warranty non- service. ymmv, and this is just one person's opinion fwiw.

Lew

I would sure like to hear the opinions of others regarding the service experience with these engines!

Harlan

Reply to
H Davis

I guess that increasing world demand for a diminishing resource doesn't have anything to do with it then ?

I guess the good times are over and fuel prices are headed constantly upwards from here on in.

Reg

Reply to
tux_powered

Output isn't limited by supply at this time. OPEC controls their output to set the price where they want it. Nations that consider themselves more sophisticated and cultured could reduce prices by supplying their own demand, but they don't like all that smelly black goo coming out of the ground.

Reply to
Robert Reynolds

You are buying into the Bush/Rothschilds propaganda bullshit. Just over night the prices shot up. No gradual increase. Does that sound like a demand problem to you. Increasing demand would cause a slow increase in prices as demand increased. Not overnight.

Ed Cregger

Reply to
Ed Cregger

Yea, but there is no denying that we are experiencing a constant and increasing world-wide demand for oil fuels from both China and India.

As the large populace moves from bikes; to motor-bikes; to small cars ( the Smart car? )... on to larger vehicles.... and more and more and more of them do it..there is no stopping demand increasing. Manufacturing fuel use...in the expanding economies... is growing leaps and bounds too...so no slowdown is coming from that sector.

As far as present prices..... since the US hasn't built a whole new refinery in decades... and we run at 99% of capacity... any small bump (weather; accident or what-have-you) immediately pushes prices up. ( When the problem passes...it doesn't seem to push them back down too quickly, though).

If we had any brains, we'd go Nuclear ( in spite of the many valid concerns) for our power requirements in the future..... The oil guys love it, I am sure.. Rich Houston, TX

Reply to
rich

I have NEVER bought into ANYTHING to do with Bush, I left that to the gullible.

Prices shoot up overnight.... it's the American way, screw the consumer and pocket as much as possible before the complaints get too heavy. Notice they DON'T shoot down as fast when prices drop.

If I were in Opec I would be cranking the price up as well, once it's gone - it's gone and apart from sand there is not much else to sell.

Fact is... oils a finite resource, the emerging economies are going to gobble up increasing amounts. price is heading onwards and upwards with very few dropbacks.

Reg

Reply to
tux_powered

I had trouble with a Magnum .52 and it went back for warranty work twice before it got straightened out. Against my better judgement, I later bought a 1.20. It has only been bench run so far. I'm certainly hoping I won't have to find out about the quality of their warranty work again. :-)

Good flying, desmobob

Reply to
Robert Scott

I was in Playa a few weeks ago and I found that my dollar bought more pesos than in Nov 2006. The peso has fallen more than the $.

Reply to
Marlowe