Magnum 4 stroke question

I'm the proud owner of a Magnum XL-91RFS 4 Stroke engine. This is my first

4 stroke, so I have thoroughly read and re-read Magnum's instruction manual. Good and comprehensive break-in instructions that I will follow. But there is no mention of maintenance instructions especially on valve adjustments. I thought that this was critical for 4 strokes. What gives?
Reply to
Marlowe

Good question. Proper valve train lash is certainly important - lack of lash will invariably impact performance and valve/valve seat longevity.

Seems to me all of my OS 91FS's came with valve train adjuster wrenches and the target lash value was stated in the instruction sheets.

/daytripper

Reply to
daytripper

I did a bit of surfing and found the info from Magnum at

Somehow all of this was not included in my instructions. Are they cutting cost?

Reply to
Marlowe

Don't they supply a feeler gage thicker than the specified clearance, or was that Saito?

Reply to
Robert Reynolds

They may have, but I can only remember the two wrenches, and a vague recollection of an Allen key as well. I also seem to remember they stopped including those tools in later kits...

/daytripper

Reply to
daytripper

OS now makes you buy the valve adjusting tool separately. The kit comes with a wrench, an allen key and two feeler gages. the feeler gages are .1 mm and .04 mm.

Reply to
Vance Howard

Ah - you're right, it was two feelers, not two wrenches. I remember all the bits now - and that each small bit was individually wrapped in plastic film as well...

Cheers

/daytripper

Reply to
daytripper

Thanks for the link, Marlowe. I have a Magnum .52 4-stroke and a .70

4-stroke on order from my LHS. It's surprising how different Magnum's break-in instructions are compared to Saito's.
Reply to
Ed Paasch

Marlowe --

I have an article titled "The Care & Feeding of Four-Strokes" at my Web Site; you might find some of the information useful.

Cheers -- \_________Lyman Slack________/ \_______Flying Gators R/C___/ \_____AMA 6430 LM____ / \___Gainesville FL_____/ Visit my Web Site at

Lyman Slack

Good info, thanks.

The reason I was asking about valve adjusting is that I was under the impression that 4 stroke engines were high maintenance, mostly due to the valve adjusting. However before my Magnum arrived, in our club we have an old hand at 4 strokes and he assured me that he only adjusts the valves on his many 4 strokes about once a year. He does give them a thorough lube job with after run oil after every flying session. I cannot wait to fire it up!

Reply to
Marlowe

It is there in the instructions or, search for the US Magnum dealer who has downloadable instructions which include the valve lash settings. 0.02 -

0.04mm I think is the common setting for most Magnum 4 strokes.
Reply to
The Raven

Thanks for the suggestion, I found this resource too:

Marlowe

Break it in according to the Magnum instructions (OEM or dealer). I broke mine in according to the US Dealer instructions with minimal alterations (eg. I shut it down whenever I thought it was getting hotter than I liked).

Big trick is to keep measuring the head temp (finger on head) and when it gets hot back off or shut down.

Reply to
The Raven

My theory is if it ain't broke don't fix it when it comes to four stroke maintenance. After run oil is about all the maintenance they get. I have one 91 four stroke that is over three years old and it has never had any adjustments except needle valves and the low end has only been set once. My other four strokes vary between 3 years old and brand new and none of them have had the valves adjusted either. I did buy the OS valve adjusting tools from Tower to get my order up to 150 so I could use the 25 off code, just in case one of the engines do eventually need the valves adjusted. Based on my Magnum 91 engines once it is broken in I think you can realistically expect 10300 - 10500 sustained RPM using 15% nitro and an APC

14x6 prop. If you stick with 10% nitro 9800 - 10000 rpm sustained is what I got.

Regards, Charlie

Reply to
Charlie

That would be .002 -.004 Inches, or .04 - .1 mm

Ken

Reply to
Ken Day

Thanks for the clarification.

Reply to
The Raven

Charlie,

You have made some great points. I am breaking in my Magnum 91, following Magnum's break-in instructions. That is 5 minute runs, full throttle at ever increasing RPM. Using 15% nitro, 20% lube and a 14x6 prop. Everything is going great until I push it above 8,800 RPM and I get an increase in vibration where I cannot proceed. I started with a balanced prop, but I don't have the capability to balance the spinner. I'm going to recheck the prop and try to give the spinner a try.

Marlowe

Reply to
Marlowe