Missing Covering Iron Knob

Hello Everyone,

I am just getting back into R/C. A week ago, after twenty years, I pulled out my Top Flite covering iron and the knob is missing. Right now I am using a large, long shafted screwdriver that makes it hard making small adjustments to get accurate Coverite thermometer readings.

Does anyone have any suggestion for a substitute knob for the iron ? One that it will be at least safe to make adjustments to the iron with and not fry my fingers ?

Any ideas and suggestions will be SO Very Much Appreciated.

Thank You,

Wayne R. Russ

Reply to
Wayne R. Russ

Does anyone have any suggestion for a substitute knob for the iron ? One that it will be at least safe to make adjustments to the iron with and not fry my fingers ?

Reply to
GCGassaway

Reply to
Robert Bauer

Hello Again,

Thank You for the replies guys. I finally found a big old knob. Kind of like the Radio Shack knobs. It is big enough to dissipate a lot of the heat. I have no trouble adjusting the iron.

Thank You George for suggesting the Radio Shack knobs. After twenty years, I had forgotten what the original was like. I was thinking, be cause of the heat, it might be a special knob. I guess not.

Again Thank You,

Wayne R. Russ

Reply to
Wayne R. Russ

Glad to see your inventiveness got going again and to see someone getting back into the hobby. Have Fun!!! Andy

We can make a box of wood.....FLY!!

Reply to
RCPILOT48

Here's my advise.....

Get away from the heated films now before you spend any money for a knob, or whatever....

If you want to be rid of film pealing, wing warping, smoke oil problems if you add smoke, and the rest of it.... Don't come back in this way.

Get Sig Koverall, and follow the instructions. A heat gun is all you need. If you must go to a thrift store with a small screwdriver.... Find some old clockradio or stereo ....and scarf the volume knob. Pay the 25 cents if you must. Use that rather than your fingers on that iron.

Soft Landings,

Mike Reiman The Reiman Corporation, CEO

2505 South Ocean Boulevard Palm Beach, Florida 33480
Reply to
The Reiman Corporation