Getting back into model railroading

Well after much thinking, we've guided our 7-year-old son to N scale.
While he had inherited HO from my brother and one of his great grand
fathers, and had been given O scale equipment, we thought he would get
more bang for his (and our) buck with N, also it helps that one of his
grand fathers has a large N scale collection.
A coworker (whose vehicle license plate is "NSCALER") gave us a
partially completed 3' X 6' layout. With that, we've gone out and
bought the necessary track and track accessories to complete it before
starting the landscaping.
My history with model trains (HO) ended 25 years ago. Still enjoyed
it, but never got back into it until now.
So as you can tell, I'll be asking many questions here and I hope I
don't become too annoying.
Thanks
Rather B. Beachen
snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com