Wartime model railroading

Does anyone do something like this? I'd like to have railroads operating in a wartime setting... preferably world war 2.

Joe the Aroma skriver:

Yes.
I know a guy who does it. He collects and build WW2 scenery. He has bought a "Leopold" railcannon from Me. I know He's trying to build amored train.
Klaus
"Klaus D. Mikkelsen" skriver:

"Leopold" is by the way preserved and is to be seen at Aberdeen Proving Ground in Maryland.
Klaus
Wartime modeling (WWII) was the focus of two dioramas featured in the 2004 Walthers Catalog photosection. Well done I thought. One featured a large yard scene American Armor (notably Roco Sherman Tanks and HalfTracks) being loaded onto flatcars, with an industrial background of various factories and warehouses (with attendant sidings and freight cars), and a road full of 1930s vehicles waiting for the armor to be loaded. Then they had a German scene of a freight depot/junction, with flatcars carrying German armor, and various German army figures and vehicles around. Roco minitanks is a pretty good source of such military equipment (although no longer listed in Walthers, lots of models seem available over the web). I suppose you prefer a urban depot scene for maximum interest, as I don't believe that supply railroads went up to the front like they did in WWI (static trench warfare on the western front, so you could build such infrastruct). Actually you need to think of what interests you here - do you want to model US railroads during WWII (1941 onward), or German/European Railroads (esp after 1941, where you could model damaged buildings and infrastructure from aerial bombing), or even English railroads? Or, perhaps really out-there (and tough to get models of) - Japanese railroads (in captured Chinese terrority even).
SALV

Well he could model the Channel islands and have a german military railway with british buildings etc, if he modeled Alderney he could also model the Alderney Death Camp though where he would get the prisoner figures, ... but the railway equipment would be easily modeled using standard german rollingstock etc, for americans that dont know The Channel islands were the only part of Britain that was occupied by the Germans under ww2 they being so close to the french coast they were undefendable, though the Dame of Sark is noted as having at over 80 years of age attacked the senior german officer who invaded her island with a broom... the Islands are Alderney, Guernsey , Jersey and ofcourse Sark there are a couple of other islands but they are french.....Sark is also the only feudal state in Europe.Sadly this will soon be but a memory :( Val Beowulf
Beowulf wrote:

I don't think so.
The line on Alderney is about 2 miles long, if that. It existed purely as an adjunct to maintaining the breakwater. There is no evidence that the Germans brought either locos or stock to run there.
The lines built on Guernsey by the Organisation Todt were 90cm gauge, and used equipment sourced from private/industrial lines in Upper Silesia.
The Jersey railway was metre gauge, and had lost the majority of its stock in a prewar fire. The OT brought locos and stock over from France to run the portion they re-opened. Another part of the railway on Jersey was relaid with 60cm gauge track - presumably this used Feldbahn equipment, although again there is little evidence of what they actually used.
Cheers,
Mark.
Beowulf wrote:
> Well he could model the Channel islands and have a german military > railway with british buildings etc, if he modeled Alderney he could > also model the Alderney Death Camp though where he would get the > prisoner figures, ... but > the railway equipment would be easily modeled using standard german > rollingstock etc
The line on Alderney is about 2 miles long, if that. It existed purely as an adjunct to maintaining the breakwater. There is no evidence that the Germans brought either locos or stock to run there.
EDIT: According to Myles Munsey, who authored an article on the Alderney Railway in the Feb 2005 "Railway Modeller", the Germans lifted the track and sent it and the two locos on Alderney to France as scrap in 1942.
Cheers,
Mark.
Salv

The nice thing about railway modelling is that it doesnt have to be prototypical :) it can be an "It Might Have Been" which is what I was referring to, have to admit it though, I'd no idea that there had ever been a railway in the Channel Islands :) Unlike the Isle of Man or Isle of Wight, a lot of german narrow guage gear is available as kits as are ww1 narrow guage British/allied railway gear (Gem models I think) as kits including a nice Baldwin n/g loco which still exist though now in Wales, also armoured petrol engine locos , boggie wagons including ambulance wagons, pity no one seems to do a rail Gun model that would look good behind a dean Goods in WD markings :) I am trying to get together enough "stuff" to model a mythical Channel island railway c 1943 in N , may be I should try n/g instead.! Val Beowulf
On Thu, 18 Jan 2007 22:31:35 +0100, Klaus D. Mikkelsen wrote:

Yep seen it there; aka part of the "Anzio Annie" team.
They've (the museum at Aberdeen APG) also got a 36" US "Little David" mortar (approx 900mm), that makes the 280mm Leopold look a little, er, uh, inadequate.
Like the old song says:
My ding-a-ling is short and fat All the little girls they like it like that
--
Steve

Steve, why do you drag this down into the sewer with your sex talk? Little girls is a telling comment for you.
Steve Caple wrote:

It was not necessary to post that.
Mark Mathu spake thus:

But it was *so* much fun!
David "Steve" Nebenzahl
On Fri, 19 Jan 2007 02:53:16 -0600, Mark Mathu wrote:

It's common knowledge?
Actually, it's a well know song verse.
--
Steve

Steve Caple skriver:

ROFL.
Im sorry, I'm not so "holy" as others in this group, I could actually se the funny joke here.
Klaus
says...

Here are pictures of a fabulous WW2 model railroad:
http://www.onesixthcollectors.co.uk/clubforum/viewtopic.php?t989
On Fri, 19 Jan 2007 03:23:26 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@email.ads (Ken Rice) wrote:

Holy cow. 1/6 scale?
It would be a shame to destroy such a thing, but I can't help but imagine some scale P-51's flying in and bombing the hell out of it.
RC Planes vs Kraut Model Railroad. That could be a pay-per-view event.
I'm betting on the Americans.
On Fri, 19 Jan 2007 09:19:06 GMT, Spender wrote:

Yeah, but aren't those nice Aryan soldiers just soooo attractive? [not]
I agree that there's something vaguely kinked about all the interest in Nazi tanks and such. The modeling skill takes it a little out of the really seamy realm of e-bay sales of Nazi memorabilia, but still . . .
--
Steve

But Steve the krauts had some real cool looking equipment especially some of the tanks and aircraft. Some neat locomotives too.
On Fri, 19 Jan 2007 23:40:18 GMT, Bruce Favinger wrote:

The FW-190, with the lovely way they faired that radial engine into the slim body, and the ME-262 with clean and graceful lines, did look nice.
And it's a pity our tank crews never had a tank as well armored as a Panther or as well armed as Tiger, or as well BOTH as a T-34, and had to rely on sheer numbers, better logistics and air superiority and still often came to grief in their Sherman/Ronsons.
FWIW, we have some long time (over 35 years) very good friends in the Stuttgart area, and really enjoy our times in Germany and in der Schweiz.
But appreciating some good design and collecting hordes of good German* soldiers are two different things. I might feel a little different if some of those little plastic people were unshaven, ragged, wounded, etc., rather than looking like they just stepped off the cover of "Signal!", and their equipment didn't look like typical Swiss stuff freshly washed and waxed preparatory to rolling back into their hillside bunker-garage. It's like a railroad layout full of shiny new painted freight cars, with pristine track and ballast, and Plasticville crew-cut lawns around the houses. A little weathering, clutter and wear and tear would go a long ways to making the display seem less like a Leni Riefenstahl set for a F?hrer parade.
PS - hear about the new movie with George Clooney, Matt Damon, Tobey Maquire and Alec Baldwin? "The Good German Shepherd"
--
Steve

It is not worth much since it is a huge lie, as if you are that old. You are a kid. If you REALLY are as old as you pretend and your postings here on a train board are how you turned out, my oh my how pathetic.
Either way I am sure your Mother ( who you brag taught you your foul language) is shamed by your behavior. Nice son you are.
More prayer this weekend needed for you.