Wartime model railroading

The FW-190, with the lovely way they faired that radial engine into the slim body, and the ME-262 with clean and graceful lines, did look nice.

And it's a pity our tank crews never had a tank as well armored as a Panther or as well armed as Tiger, or as well BOTH as a T-34, and had to rely on sheer numbers, better logistics and air superiority and still often came to grief in their Sherman/Ronsons.

FWIW, we have some long time (over 35 years) very good friends in the Stuttgart area, and really enjoy our times in Germany and in der Schweiz.

But appreciating some good design and collecting hordes of good German* soldiers are two different things. I might feel a little different if some of those little plastic people were unshaven, ragged, wounded, etc., rather than looking like they just stepped off the cover of "Signal!", and their equipment didn't look like typical Swiss stuff freshly washed and waxed preparatory to rolling back into their hillside bunker-garage. It's like a railroad layout full of shiny new painted freight cars, with pristine track and ballast, and Plasticville crew-cut lawns around the houses. A little weathering, clutter and wear and tear would go a long ways to making the display seem less like a Leni Riefenstahl set for a F?hrer parade.

PS - hear about the new movie with George Clooney, Matt Damon, Tobey Maquire and Alec Baldwin? "The Good German Shepherd"

Reply to
Steve Caple

It is not worth much since it is a huge lie, as if you are that old. You are a kid. If you REALLY are as old as you pretend and your postings here on a train board are how you turned out, my oh my how pathetic.

Either way I am sure your Mother ( who you brag taught you your foul language) is shamed by your behavior. Nice son you are.

More prayer this weekend needed for you.

Steve the fake poster Caple wrote:

Reply to
curtmchere

Reply to
J Barnstorf

Take your high and mighty attitude and get the hell out of here.

Refractorygod

Reply to
brad

your generosity, understanding and compassion shows the glory of god! Hallelujah! inshallah!

Reply to
J Barnstorf

After adding some waste of bandwidth replies to the waste of bandwidth from curtnmhere I felt guilty.

so, something model railway related: (more waste of bandwidth but at least it's model railroad related:)

I'm scratchbuilding some CP Rail wood chip gondolas. First car is 70% built. Sample drawing:

other drawings:
:-)

Reply to
J Barnstorf

LOL! Poor old Curnt wouldn't recognise the real world if it ran up and bit him on the arse!

Cheers,

Mark, the Steve from the bush.

Reply to
Mark Newton

I think you are right - I reckon it's a static model. There are a number of features that suggest it was built by someone not very familiar with the real thing...

Cheers,

Mark, the Aussie Steve.

Reply to
Mark Newton

Oddly enough, yes.

There was an American interurban, the Winona Railroad built by a religious group to serve their retreat/camp. There were a number of railways built in Japan to serve temples, shrines, etc. In India there was a steam tramway - running 30" gauge Garratts! - that served pilgrimage traffic.

But the biggest and best would have to be the Hejaz Railway, originally built to serve the Muslim pilgrim traffic to Mecca.

(That ought to attract some boneheaded comment from "curnt"!)

Cheers,

Mark.

Reply to
Mark Newton

I'll probaly start another flame war for saying so, but I wasn't all that impressed with the loco. Too many little details that are wrong...

Aussie MarkSteve.

Reply to
Mark Newton

Hi Joe

Yes I and many other do.

See the web site at

look in the articles and galleries section for some typical examples.

There is also the World War Two Railway Study Group of which I am secretary. UK based but world wide membership.

URL is

Please let me know if you would like further information

I am currently modelling American WWII period trains in HO scale. Models of railway guns and armoured trains can be found at

Regards

Tony Cane

Reply to
t.cane

It seems like is a strange area of collectables. But monumental events, whether glorious or horrific attract people. I have read that, oddly enough, Jews are some of the biggest collectors of Nazi memorabilia. I guess that is done with the intent of never forgetting.

The seamy side of it would be your skinheads who collect the stuff. But then collecting Nazi artifacts is likely the least seamy thing about the average skinhead...

Reply to
Spender

Which world? Clearly not the little padded cell curtmchere lives in. I certainly hope the staff finds him soon and returns him to his cell before he does any real damage.

Steve42

Reply to
Steve Stevenson

Mark, With the exception of the American interurben it's seems all were built by non-Christian organizations. If the Winona RR was built by any dirivitive of Calvanistic Christianity then there is no exception to the rule that all relegious railroads where built by non-Christian groups. Bruce

Reply to
Bruce Favinger

Steve, One of my favorite aircraft is the FW-190. When it comes to tanks I like the Tigers, Panthers and the Russian T-34's like most people who have any interest in these things. But I have a greater interest in WWI, golden age, and other early aircraft. Here again I find my favorite's in German subjects like the Pfalz DIII, DIIIa and Albatros variants. It's interesting that such deadly destructive devices are also some the most beautiful machines created by man. Still funky little narrow gauge steam engines are closer to my heart. Bruce

Reply to
Bruce Favinger

Boy howdy, is that ever true! Especially with the recent example of our chickenhawk administration and their chickenhawk NeoCon allies. None of them have ever been shot at, unless by an angry pimp, their coke dealer or their mistress' husband.

Reply to
Steve Caple

SALVÉ "Sir Ray" skrev i meddelandet news: snipped-for-privacy@v45g2000cwv.googlegroups.com...

Well he could model the Channel islands and have a german military railway with british buildings etc, if he modeled Alderney he could also model the Alderney Death Camp though where he would get the prisoner figures, ... but the railway equipment would be easily modeled using standard german rollingstock etc, for americans that dont know The Channel islands were the only part of Britain that was occupied by the Germans under ww2 they being so close to the french coast they were undefendable, though the Dame of Sark is noted as having at over 80 years of age attacked the senior german officer who invaded her island with a broom... the Islands are Alderney, Guernsey , Jersey and ofcourse Sark there are a couple of other islands but they are french.....Sark is also the only feudal state in Europe.Sadly this will soon be but a memory :( Valé Beowulf

Reply to
Beowulf

check out you-tube for "Raf in action" dehavalin mosquito. doing a low flyby. Must have buzzed the cameraman at 10' cool aircraft. I like the BF

109 & FW 190 and the mosquito , P38, Ju-88... as well as a variety of other WW2 aircraft. not so f>>
Reply to
J Barnstorf

Well, the F-86 had classic clean lines. Not the D model, of course.

Reply to
Steve Caple

I don't think so.

The line on Alderney is about 2 miles long, if that. It existed purely as an adjunct to maintaining the breakwater. There is no evidence that the Germans brought either locos or stock to run there.

The lines built on Guernsey by the Organisation Todt were 90cm gauge, and used equipment sourced from private/industrial lines in Upper Silesia.

The Jersey railway was metre gauge, and had lost the majority of its stock in a prewar fire. The OT brought locos and stock over from France to run the portion they re-opened. Another part of the railway on Jersey was relaid with 60cm gauge track - presumably this used Feldbahn equipment, although again there is little evidence of what they actually used.

Cheers,

Mark.

Reply to
Mark Newton