Gingerly getting into manufacturing

In the last couple of months, I have tried getting my feet wet with "manufacturing". Of course, I am fully aware that I cannot compete on
the global market making, say, cheap tin can openers.
However, I found a nice way to make money. I buy steel plates from scrappers, weld legs to them, and sell the result as "unused welding tables".
I have already sold several, my costs are $60-70 and I sell them for $400-500 easily. It takes little time to weld them, also. I have a bunch more plates. A fun and easy way to make money.
I am, of course, fully aware that it would be a lot more difficult to do if I had to pay full price for steel stock, but I do not have to.
On Sat, 29 Dec 2012 15:48:38 -0600, Ignoramus6127

I'm assuming this is another spoof. But in case it isn't... Iggy if that's you are people really paying you for those tables? If they are then that's way funnier than the spoof ever could be.
whoyakidding wrote:

Yes, it IS actually a bit funny! Since you need to weld to put the legs on (I assume) then this would be really easy for anyone who has a welder and access to the steel plates to do for himself. So, the buyers are apparently paying $360 and up for a couple minutes of welding.
Jon

Depends where you are located, 4'x6' $100.
http://lasvegas.craigslist.org/tls/3508564037.html
What would realy sell well would be a table that folds up for easy storage.
Best Regards Tom.

I am guessing that it has 12ga to 1/8 inch top, by looking at the legs.

I dunno, you can use the table as storage also.
On Sat, 29 Dec 2012 22:12:33 -0600, Ignoramus6127

Just dont hit that table with a hammer. You will put dents in it.

And do not put anything heavy on it.

I got my steel plate and channel iron welding table for free in a hoss trade. It was too bulky to store under cover so I cut the legs to 6", bandsawed the ends of 2x4s to the inside shape of the channel, and bolted them on. I cut the dovetail shape a little too wide to bottom out in the channel, making the wood legs wedge tightly in place and be nearly as rigid as the all-steel ones were. It will be many years before the time it takes to assemble and disassemble it adds up to the time I would have needed to make equally stiff folding legs. jsw
On 12/29/2012 9:25 PM, Jon Elson wrote:

Each table takes at least 5 man-hours I'd bet. Leg fabrication, jigging, welding, weld cleaning and LOTS of material and finished good handling. Then add in equipment and overhead. Better than break-even but not a "Shooting Star" product. I'd bet there is no Product Liability Insurance involved so there is a slight exposure there.

The base of that particular machine table came from some piece of assembly line that my guy stripped for components. It took someone else 20 minutes to cut some protrusions away. Then it took me 15 minutes to weld on the top, and 5 more minutes to clean up with a wire brush.
On 12/29/2012 11:16 PM, Ignoramus6127 wrote:

COOL, a nice little niche product! Make hay while the sun shines. Too bad you don't have an unlimited supply of raw materials or an unsaturateable market. How do you handle the parts and finished goods? Forklift? If I were closer, I'd want one. Both of mine have horizontal surface syndrome.

Yes, I wish that I ad more supply. But, alas, I have a pile of 1 inch street plate awaiting its hour. Hopefully this coming week we could get to it.

What is that syndrome?

Any horizontal` surface will collect "stuff" until it is covered and unusable for anything but piling on more "stuff" .
--
Snag

And its not limited to just welding tables.
Pool tables, work benches, counter tops etc etc all are victim to this horrific disease.
On Sun, 30 Dec 2012 07:50:24 -0600, Ignoramus13070

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Flat%20surface%20syndrome
First heard of flat surface syndrome as a relation to Murphy's many 'laws' back in the 1980s... Bagwell's corollary (yes I take credit for it) "A work bench against a wall is a shelf."
--
William

On Sun, 30 Dec 2012 20:16:14 -0500, William Bagwell

Good one! Saved!!
Gunner
On 12/30/2012 10:23 PM, Gunner wrote:

One of my new (13 months) mechanics has a "Neat Bug" and does a nice job of keeping things put away and organized. I hope he never finds a cure. A few years ago I bought a few truckloads of pallet racking and now have a place to put just about everything. The machine shop got two 2-foot wide x 8' long x 8 foot high with 5 shelves. There is still room! The welding tables get used as work tables to disassemble and repair dies and machine parts, often taking days or weeks waiting for parts. So, when a welding job comes along, the table must be vacated. It's not that the tables get clutter piled on but they get used for too many things.

And pictures of YOUR shop are where? Anyone can brag about how clean someone else's shop is.\
Dan

I do not see what is wrong with the "Ohio Brush" shop picture. What I see here is a business that is low in invested capital (super old lathe, long depreciated), but that is clearly moving some inventory.
Also it is clear that OSHA does not come there very often.
On Tue, 01 Jan 2013 09:56:58 -0600, Ignoramus1274

I agree. It's nothing to brag on but it's apparently still in business, and we have Tom's word that it's making profit. The trouble is he also previously said he's had multiple offers to buy the place for huge amounts of money. THAT isn't credible, and combined with his repeated juvenile lying that I was on "cheese checks", his word isn't worth anything to me. I also remember him being really petulant about some unsolicited free brushes he'd sent Ed Huntress, who returned them. Getting into such things online is dumb and a good businessman would know better. He also claims to be a responsible gun owner who certifies other to own guns. Based on his posts I think it's fair to say he'd certify Gunner, who is unstable by any reasonable definition. So when people call Tom an idiot or worse, he only has himself to blame.