Gingerly getting into manufacturing

In the last couple of months, I have tried getting my feet wet with "manufacturing". Of course, I am fully aware that I cannot compete on the global market making, say, cheap tin can openers.

However, I found a nice way to make money. I buy steel plates from scrappers, weld legs to them, and sell the result as "unused welding tables".

I have already sold several, my costs are $60-70 and I sell them for $400-500 easily. It takes little time to weld them, also. I have a bunch more plates. A fun and easy way to make money.

I am, of course, fully aware that it would be a lot more difficult to do if I had to pay full price for steel stock, but I do not have to.

Ignoramus6127

I'm assuming this is another spoof. But in case it isn't... Iggy if that's you are people really paying you for those tables? If they are then that's way funnier than the spoof ever could be.

Reply to
whoyakidding

Yes, it IS actually a bit funny! Since you need to weld to put the legs on (I assume) then this would be really easy for anyone who has a welder and access to the steel plates to do for himself. So, the buyers are apparently paying $360 and up for a couple minutes of welding.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Elson

Depends where you are located, 4'x6' $100.

What would realy sell well would be a table that folds up for easy storage.

Best Regards Tom.

Reply to
Howard Beal

Each table takes at least 5 man-hours I'd bet. Leg fabrication, jigging, welding, weld cleaning and LOTS of material and finished good handling. Then add in equipment and overhead. Better than break-even but not a "Shooting Star" product. I'd bet there is no Product Liability Insurance involved so there is a slight exposure there.

Reply to
Tom Gardner

I do not like advertising my ebay auctions.

However, I emailed Jon privately.

Here's a copy of the email:

70-

Jon, this is a personal email. Do not publish this link. This is a completed auction for a welding table I was mentioning.

The buyer came, paid, and picked up this table. The selling price was $500. He is a weldor and he took six hours to get to me from Kentucky. Just like you, I was surprised. i

Reply to
Ignoramus6127

I am guessing that it has 12ga to 1/8 inch top, by looking at the legs.

I dunno, you can use the table as storage also.

Ignoramus6127

The base of that particular machine table came from some piece of assembly line that my guy stripped for components. It took someone else 20 minutes to cut some protrusions away. Then it took me 15 minutes to weld on the top, and 5 more minutes to clean up with a wire brush.

Ignoramus6127

COOL, a nice little niche product! Make hay while the sun shines. Too bad you don't have an unlimited supply of raw materials or an unsaturateable market. How do you handle the parts and finished goods? Forklift? If I were closer, I'd want one. Both of mine have horizontal surface syndrome.

Reply to
Tom Gardner

Plus the time they save by not hunting down sources of scrap. It cost me most of a day to find 3" channel iron for my sawmill at $0.12 a pound.

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

Yes, I wish that I ad more supply. But, alas, I have a pile of 1 inch street plate awaiting its hour. Hopefully this coming week we could get to it.

What is that syndrome?

Reply to
Ignoramus13070

I got my steel plate and channel iron welding table for free in a hoss trade. It was too bulky to store under cover so I cut the legs to 6", bandsawed the ends of 2x4s to the inside shape of the channel, and bolted them on. I cut the dovetail shape a little too wide to bottom out in the channel, making the wood legs wedge tightly in place and be nearly as rigid as the all-steel ones were. It will be many years before the time it takes to assemble and disassemble it adds up to the time I would have needed to make equally stiff folding legs. jsw

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

Any horizontal` surface will collect "stuff" until it is covered and unusable for anything but piling on more "stuff" .

Reply to
Terry Coombs

Just dont hit that table with a hammer. You will put dents in it.

  1. Lie
Gunner

And do not put anything heavy on it.

Ignoramus13070

I don't need the money so I'd have risked losing the sale by asking why he calls himself a weldor. The answer is surely as funny as the concept. But not as funny as Tom Gardner estimating a 5 hour build time.

Reply to
whoyakidding

It's clear that he's a success and has all the skills he needs to make money. He's plenty smart

and has proven himself capable of learning as he goes. He's ostensibly in the same biz as Gunner but holy christ the difference in their progress is absolutely stunning. It's as if one has zombies pulling him down into the ooze and the other has rocket shoes.

Yeah he could have done better and he admitted it. But the criticism of "horrifying" was over the top. He isn't marketing that thing to grade schoolers and on its face it's clearly a DIY contraption that's likely far better than the buyer could do on his own. The improvements required are so easy he may do them before the thing is picked up. But if he takes a low offer and doesn't want to bother then pointing out a few things to the buyer is sufficient and perfectly fair.

Reply to
whoyakidding

And its not limited to just welding tables.

Pool tables, work benches, counter tops etc etc all are victim to this horrific disease.

  1. Lie
Gunner

First heard of flat surface syndrome as a relation to Murphy's many 'laws' back in the 1980s... Bagwell's corollary (yes I take credit for it) "A work bench against a wall is a shelf."

Reply to
William Bagwell

Good one! Saved!!

Gunner