Need recommendation for R/C gift for 8 year old

I purchased a $35.00 airhog (styrafoam cheapo plane) for a friend's eight year old son. I had a lot of fun with my own airhog, easy to fly, pretty durable for the amount of times I crashed into things with it, but his plane is having problems and I want to buy him a better one. They have about 10 acres of land in the country and I was thinking of buying him a new plane with a budget of $150.00. I have considered helicopters but I think an airplane would be more fun, but I'm open to suggestions on both. I'm hoping for something that requires minimal assembly and provides lots of enjoyment for a child, unless it's significantly cheaper and not too difficult to build one on my own.

Thanks Ned

Reply to
Ned

-------------

Some of the ready-to-fly combos are really nice these days.

I like the pusher electric models with the conventional empennage, although I guess there is nothing wrong with the vee-tail.

I bought one, still in the box, from Hobby Lobby International. Will get it out and charge it up, as soon as I can find it! Yes, they can be bought with radio control installed and just about ready-to-fly for your max target price. Just don't get one with two motors. They turn the model by varying the speed of the motors, no control surfaces are actuated. Very limited maneuverability. But there are a few twins out there that do use control surfaces, but you can't buy them ready-to-fly for what you are willing to spend, so no worry.

Guys, if the kids are gone and you are tempted to buy a smaller house - DON'T DO IT! You will need all the vacated space for your good stuff to come.

Ed Cregger

Reply to
Ed Cregger

Thanks for mentioning Hobby Lobby. They have a lot of nice planes and helicopters to choose from with videos of them being flown. I understand the advice about the child's age but his father will be with him to help.

Thanks for your responses. NH

Reply to
Ned

Most of the club members I've spoken to consider eight to be the right age for flight instruction. I think you're getting him started at just the right time.

Since they have the room to fly it, why not look at the Hobbyzone Super Cub RTF? It's right in the budget range you're looking at, and it was specifically designed for first time pilots to learn to fly on.

I th>>

Reply to
Ed Paasch

Here's something that might fit your needs.

Reply to
gyrocptr