Looking for users of ATV from R/C model plane?

Hi,

The subject line spells out the area I'm interested in learning of other's experiences. Several years ago I gave some thought to installing a mini TV camera and Amateur licensed TV transmitter in one of my models, but for a variety of reasons did not follow through. The biggest was the lack of anyone, besides myself, in our club who also held the necessary Ham license.

Recently I was conversing with a fellow Ham driving thru town who had been involved with a model flyer, and he has provided me with some interesting information re their experiences. This has whetted my appetite to try it again, and I've been looking at the options. However, I'd like to find out if any other participants on this n.g. have got any additional experience here they might share.

Thanks, Olin McDaniel, W4PFZ, AMA 30932, Leader Member

To reply by email, please remove "abcd" from Return address

----------------------------------------------------- "Ignorance is treatable, Stupidity is incurable. Sometimes the difference is hardly distinguishable, however."

Reply to
Olin K. McDaniel

Yeah man! I just got very interested in this very subject and have been experimenting with various systems from a $350 900mhz system to a $20 1.2ghz Ebay system. Check out RCUniverse for a discussion group specificaly about this subject. Also, if you have broadband or DSL, check out my website for my Movies page. Blowing my own horn here! I have several different windows media movies there of airborne video attempts ranging from video mounted slope gliders, 2 meter motor gliders and glow powered aircraft. Trials and tribulations but having a blast with it!

Reply to
Fubar of The HillPeople

Me and a fellow ham friend do the rc atv from our motor gliders. I also used this same setup on my RC Paraplane. We've had a lot of fun with it. I use a PC Electronics atv xmit module on 434 mhz with a small color ccd camera mounted on the verticle fin. The camera and xtmr will both run on 1 9 volt battery for appx. 2.5 hours. There is no sound, but why would you want it? The transmitter runs appx. 99.00 dollars and the camera when on sale is around 39.00 dollars. With that, you would want to get a receiver/down converter again from PC Electronics. It too runs around 99.00 dollars. With all of that you can get good video into a vcr so that you can record it. I have a small Sony video walkman 8mm deck that I record to.

The range can be very good depending upon the antenna. If you are a ham you probably know the antenna is everything. I live near a beach and at one point I had my receiver setup at home. I walked to the beach appx. 2 blocks away and launched the paraplane. I called my wife and had her tell me if she could see the video. She WAS able too. She recorded the flight for me. At one point I was appx. 1/4 mile from my home and was still receiving a good signal.

Another time which was humorous, my friend Earl was flying his Aspire motor glider in the desert. We camp down there quite a bit and it makes for great rc flying. He has an old Caveman trailer that he brings along. Anyway, he was up flying his Aspire with the video on record in the trailer. He had it up 50-75 feet and was practicing loops. That was new to him. Well, the first loop went well. but on the second loop he didn't pay attention which direction it was going. At the bottom of the loop at a high speed he managed to impale his Aspire into the back of his Caveman trailer. It was hilarious!!. The best part was that it was caught on the on board video since he was recording it inside the trailer. It makes for quite a conversation video. It looks more like a home made missle attack.

That's some of the fun we've had with ours. Good luck if you take it on.

73 de Don N6NLX. "
Reply to
Don