Remote glow driver Switch

Hi All:

I want to install a remote glow driver and connect it to the receiver so I can turn it on and off use Tx. Can anyone recommand one? Or how to build one?

Thanks

Reply to
Localbuyer

Go to Radio Shack and get a lever/roller micro switch. Mount it to the throttle servo so the servo arm will depress it (turn it on) at the idle position. Dr.1 Driver "There's a Hun in the sun!"

Reply to
Dr1Driver

Hi: Please refer to RC Modeler magazine, January 2002, page 44, "Auto Glow Driver - Electronic On-Board Glow Driver". This beats a switch by any measure.

Hope this helps.

Phil

Reply to
Phil

Ramline sells a couple models. I bought one for a 91FS magnum that I mounted inverted in a P47. It comes on and off with the throttle and is adjustable. Drop to idle and the driver comes on. Throttle up and it goes off. Worked great. Was the best working component of the entire plane. Plane flew like crap but the engine never dead sticked.

Reply to
Fubar of The HillPeople

McDaniels used to make a unit that you plugged into the throttle channel on a Y cord and could dial in the glow power when you wanted it.

Reply to
Six_O'Clock_High

I believe ElectroDynamics still makes one. Single cylinder unit is $39.95, multis cost correspondingly more. Model number is EDR-103 and their web page is:

They make a lot of other interesting stuff, as well.

Olin McDaniel

To reply by email, please remove "abcd" from Return address

----------------------------------------------------- "Ignorance is treatable, Stupidity is incurable. Sometimes the difference is hardly distinguishable, however."

Reply to
Olin K. McDaniel

Get yourself one of these:

units, you can mix into the throttle channel or just use an Y-lead. They switch on and off when you switch the radio on or off.

-- Kjell Aanvik Oslo, Norway

"Olin K. McDaniel" skrev i melding news: snipped-for-privacy@news.east.earthlink.net...

Reply to
Kjell Aanvik

Kjell, A bit too pricey for me!

Reply to
jeboba

Build a cheap one! Get a micro switch and put a wheel coller on your throttle cable near the servo. Mount the micro switch so that the wheel coller pushes the micro switch. Wire it up properly and you are in business. Put a long cover between the coller and the switch if you want heat for a long time.

Good luck,

-- Jim Branaum AMA 1428

Y-lead.

Reply to
Six_O'Clock_High

Jim,

I did not understand the statement "Put a long cover between the coller and the switch if you want heat for a long time."

What is meant by cover?

Thanks, Tim

Reply to
AdamsGroup

OOPS! Should have been a "Long arm" to make the contact close for a longer segment of the servo travel. Sorry for the confusion.

Reply to
Six_O'Clock_High

You have a throttle control rod, you slip a wheel collar over the rod and tighten the set screw, and use the "hump" of the collar to push against the strategically placed microswitch lever.

You would locate the wheel collar at the "low" end of the throttle range of movement of the rod, so that from closed throttle to somewhere around mid-throttle the "hump" will close the microswitch, thus closing the circuit from battery to plug.

Then, as you increase the throttle setting, once the throttle servo is above mid-throttle the "hump" will have gone by the microswitch lever, which springs back to the "open" position, cutting power to the glow plug.

Therefore the length of the collar dictates the portion of the full throttle range that the glow plug will be lit.

/daytripper

Reply to
daytripper

Thanks for the responses guys.