New Engine

Need a cheap engine for my 40 sized trainer, everybody in the club says do not buy MDS but they look OK to me and Ripmax give them rave revues, what are your thoughts? Steve.

Reply to
Steve Sherratt

Well, let's see...

The guys at the field won't make a penny regardless of which engine you buy.

The magazines depend upon their advertisers to stay in business.

It seems clear enough to me.

Ed Cregger

Reply to
Ed Cregger

I'd go for a Thunder Tiger, a GMS, or a Tower (in that order).

I've never played with an MDS, but they get hugely bad reviews on this n.g.

I've got two GMS engines (.32 & .46). Both were purchased on the $20 trade-in offer from RJL industries. I was very happy to get rid of some engines that didn't make me happy. These two have performed quite well.

YMMV.

Marty

Reply to
Martin X. Moleski, SJ

The guys at the club know what they are talking about give the MDS a pass, look here:

picture at the bottom

Then go out and buy a decent engine

Reply to
Bob Cowell

Steve, More than a few persons in this newsgroup have reported problems with the MDS engines. I'd recommend a Thunder Tiger GP.42 for low cost and easy starting. I have two of them and both start easily with a chicken stick. They have performed flawlessly on a Pizza Box Flyer and a SPAD QHOR. The angled needle valve is a nice feature too! Joe L.

Reply to
JosLvng

Isn't Ripmax the importer? The GreatPlanes of Europe? As a minimum, don't they sell 'em?

Reply to
The Vail Family

Smashing Good Report Bob, simply smashing!!! :-)

Tom Wales

I'll tell you, with a little patience and TLC, MDSs are decent engines. I have a student with an MDS .40, and we regularly get 30+ minute flights. Another recently-soloed student is tearing up the sky with his. We had some trouble with these engines during the initial flights, and I kept telling them the low end was too rich. You could hear the engine loading up at part throttle. Nobody listened. At dinner afterwards, one of the other trainers goes, "You know, I bet that engine was too rich on the low end." Wouldn't ya know, everyone thought he was on to something, and wouldn't ya know, he was right! How's that?

The engine I'm impressed with is the new Evolution. A new student brought his Xtra Easy 2 out last Tuesday night. It started in THREE FLIPS, purred like a kitten, and never once bobbled or stalled in the air. This was only the second tank of fuel, too. Even OS engines don't flip-start well until they're broken in.

Reply to
Mathew Kirsch

MDS stands for "Many Dead Sticks" according to many users. Quality is apparently hit or miss. There are better brands for similar cost, such as Thunder Tiger.

Reply to
CurtD

When I got back into this hobby two years ago, I thought I'd go the *cheap* route with a cheap engine for my Goldberg Falcon 56 trainer. So I bought a TigerShark .40. Paid $47 delivered. What a MISTAKE! The engine never ran right and finally cost me the plane. From that point on, I have never considered a cheap engine again. Now all I own is OS, Irvine, Saito and YS. Yes they cost more, but when I factor in the cost of the plane that cheap piece of junk cost me, I didn't save any money.

If I were to fly a corrugated plastic/plastic downspout type of combat plane, I'd consider a cheap engine, but I would never put one on a trainer again. IMO, you need the most dependable engine you can get for that trainer...

Reply to
Doug

MVVS .40 engines are very powerful, affordable, and have excellent Swiss bearings plus durable materials for guaranteed longevity.

Reply to
Pé Reivers

Buy it.

Reply to
Bousch

Never had one, but the negative posts vs positive posts here about em are something like 25-1 against. Go for an OS .46FX or a GMS .47. I can recommend those based on personal experience. I have heard mostly good things about Thunder Tiger Pro engines also. I would never buy an MDS. Or another Magnum 2 stroke for that matter.

Reply to
Fubar of The HillPeople

That seemed such a funda,mentaly sound statement, I thought I'd give you all the chance to read it again.

Power, vertical capability - none of these is haldf so important for a newbie,

than the mere fact that it doesn't quit in flight.

Long live electrics - Oops sorry!

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

You should be sorry. Most of the stuff they're peddling to newbies in the electric end are nothing but toys or just plain junk! It sorta reminds me of the stuff that Cox use to sell for those getting in to U-control. Fly once, crash, that's it for the hobby! 'Bye, 'Bye! Joe L.

Reply to
JosLvng

Don't own one but my understanding is that the TS engines are low nitro engines. You probably used 10% or more nitro, which just causes them to run hot and deadstick. I have not yet found a bad make of engines. Though there are a few I have not tried.

Reply to
Sport_Pilot

Nah. I learnt to fly C'L on a pee wee 020 biplane.

A LOT better than the ghastly DC bantam I had before that, though unlike teh Frog 80 diesel that preced it, that would at least start within 45 minutes...

Thank you Cox for at least delivering be an engine that ran and delivered power. After the demise of the biplane, that little engine powered amany things, the most amusing being an all sheet fokker triplane, for free flight :)

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

??????

What was the point of the page? All I saw was a guy whacking a prop and a broken engine as a result of whacking with a hammer? Will an OS do better under a hammer? If that' an example of a guy 'that knows what he is doing', then he wasn't doing a good job showing it.

Reply to
Pjtg0707

Let me guess, you and your family are missing the humor gene, right?

Ed Cregger

Reply to
Ed Cregger

The point of the page is that hammer target practice is all MDS engines are good for. I sure that there was a lot of anger and frustration at the engine released during its destruction. An OS engine wouldnt have gone under the hammer in the first place. Or Saito, GMS, SuperTigre, Irvine, etc.

Reply to
Fubar of The HillPeople