Newbie question

I'm building my second kit airplane, a Sig Piper Cub J-3, and need a little clarification on the wing/aileron construction.

The instruction booklet has me building the trailing edge sheeting over the plans. The confusion factor comes up with the various illustrations... Most show the trailing edge as a single piece, one illustration shows the cuts necessary to form the aileron box. The instructions do not address this point. I can see advantages in leaving the trailing edge as a single piece and I can also see the piece being cut.

Any recommendations?

Darrell

Reply to
Darrell

Lemme see if I can paint the right picture for you from what you have described. What you are seeing is one of the fastest ways to make built up ailerons, which are very light and can be very scale. Check and see if this 'fits' what you are supposed to build. ou probably have a rear spar that happens to form the edge of the aileron box. Probably somewhere behind that is another peice of wood that looks sort of like a wimpy partial spar, which happens to be the base of the aileron leading edge. Check real careful and make sure because many I have built require an additional peice of wood to be scabbed on, after the rib stubs are sanded flush, to create the aileron angled stock normally found at the leading edge. Your comments about the picture showing cuts tends to indicate this. I can suggest that you solidify the control horn mount between the top and bottem sheeting AND each rib.

Reply to
Six_O'Clock_High

Reply to
ROBBIE