Pico Stick F Wing Reinforcement

I've had some problems with the wings on my Pico Stick F folding on me. I tried reinforcing them with push rods glued in place (bent in the middle to allow for dihedral), but the rods just tore right through the wing.

I've heard people suggest using a carbon rod or bamboo skewer along the leading edge of the wing for added support, but wouldn't this result in zero dihedral? I've heard you want as much dihedral as possible on the Pico Stick F.

Any suggestions?

Thanks, Dan

Reply to
lagman

I added wing struts with Velcro on each end. Rich

Reply to
richg99

Can you explain more about what the struts are made out of and how the velcro is used?

Thanks, Dan

Reply to
lagman

The struts are 1/4 by 1/16th basswood about 8 inches long. I glued a sticky "pad" of Velcro onto each wing about two thirds out. I made the basswood stick the length needed to attach to a similar stick "pad" glued onto the fuse...right at the 90 degree angle; in line with the basswood sticks.

I used Velcro since I could easily remove the supports when I had to take the wing off. Obviously, one could glue or screw the approx 8 inch basswood strips right onto the fuse and the wing.

Occasionally, the Velcro doesn't hold up to a loop etc. but, mostly the plane flies along just fine. I don't do many stunts with this small foam plane, of course. If you do, then Velcro would NOT be an appropriate attaching method. Rich

Reply to
richg99