Prop mounting question (warning: ascii art)

I have an OS FX .46 and I'm trying to mount a prop onto it. My instructions from the plane kit say to take off the driveshaft nut and washer and install the prop cowl backplate. My engine comes with 3 things on the driveshaft... a big attachment-looking thing that's the same color as the engine and looks like it's the other half of the end of the engine block, a big washer, and the driveshaft nut. The driveshaft itself has a threaded portion, a nonthreaded portion, and a bigger nonthreaded portion that fits the whole in the big engine-colored block.

-------------- | | (2) | ------- (1) |

--------- ||||||

--------- | ------- | | | ---------------

(1) - nut and washer fit here (2) - engine-colored attachment fits here

So where does the backplate go? Behind all the removable parts? Just behind the nut and washer against the back of the non-threaded part?

Thanks for the help, and sorry for the excessive use of ascii art.

Reply to
Joel Konkle-Parker

""a big attachment-looking thing that's the same color as the engine """

this stays on the engine and will be behind the backplate, then prop then washer then nut.

Reply to
Dell Shannon

I assume you are installing a spinner. Item #2 is the Drive Waser, and is required to prevent the prop from locaking against the crankcase. Simply keep #2 on the engine, install the spinner backplate, then the prop, prop washer, prop nut, then the actual spinner.

If you are not using a spinner (nose cone), install the Drive Washer (#2 from your drawing), then the prop, prop washer and the prop nut.

Reply to
<engram

Rather than going by ascii art go by the eploded view provided in the OS

46FX users manual, if you didn't get one you can download an adobe acrobat version from their website.

7 is the Propeller Nut

8 is the Propellor Washer 9 is the Drive Hub (What you called #2 in your drawing) 10 is the Thrust Washer

Be careful not to lose the Thrust washer, it's paper thin. The prop would go inbetween #8 and #9. If using a spinner, the backplate of the spinner would go inbetween the prop and #9.

Reply to
Normen Strobel