prop ratings

Whats the difference between a 10x7 prop and a 10x6? The first number is the prop diameter? whats the second? Thanks ahead of time...

Reply to
Newbee

Pitch. The distance the prop would move forward in one revolution in a perfect world :-)

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

The second number is "pitch". It's the number of inches the prop would move through a SOLID in one revolution. In actual practice, there's a lot of slippage and it doesn't move nearly that far.

Smaller diameter/higher pitch props are for higher speed at the sacrifice of pulling power. Larger diameter/lower pitch props pull more, but the top speed is limited. It's like high and low on a car (respectively). Dr.1 Driver "There's a Hun in the sun!"

Reply to
Dr1Driver

Great analogy Driver!

Reply to
jeboba

The way it was described to me best was the number of inches the prop would move in one revolution in say, a block of butter, or wax.....kinda silly sounding, but it helped me understand.

-Nick

Reply to
Nick W.

Makes perfect sense. Thanks

Reply to
Newbee

I tried rotating a prop through a solid concrete block. It broke.

What am I doing wrong?

Confused of Candleford.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I regularly perform the same experiment, but using ordinary dirt - as found at the local flying field.

Russ.

Reply to
Russ

You have to use a concrete prop for a concrete block. :) Dr.1 Driver "There's a Hun in the sun!"

Reply to
Dr1Driver

Ever tried wood, as in a tree? That works well, too. :) Dr.1 Driver "There's a Hun in the sun!"

Reply to
Dr1Driver

So a wood prop would be ok for a tree then. Ya live and learn.

Kevin

Reply to
Kevin Manley

Carbide works better.