Pusher Propeller

Is it necessary to purchase a pusher propeller or is it satisfactory to just put a regular prop on backwards ? ( To be used on a WINGO.)

Reply to
james12

| Is it necessary to purchase a pusher propeller or is it satisfactory | to just put a regular prop on backwards ? | ( To be used on a WINGO.)

If you can reverse the motor, then it's satisfactory to just put a regular prop on backwards.

If you can't reverse the motor, then you need to get a pusher prop -- and put it on backwards.

In the case of the Wingo, the motor is probably already reversed for you, so a normal prop is probably fine. If the motor has neutral timing (which is likely, just being a cheap can motor) then if it does need to be reversed, just reversing the wires will be sufficient.

Reply to
Doug McLaren

Check the prop nut more often than 'normal' if you reverse the motor rotation -- front-winding motors tend to tighten the nut a bit, reversed ones tend to back it off a bit.

Or just check the prop nut before you fly, every time. It's what I do, and the propeller only falls off in really bad crashes.

Reply to
Tim Wescott

Reverse the prop and reverse the connections to the motor: If a brushless only reverse two..its hard to 'reverse three' if uou think about it :-)

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Best appraoch is to check the geometry of the prop as it rotates and compare it to a regular puller/tractor setup.

If you can reverse the engine or motor (depending upon whether it's an IC or electric), then a regular prop is good enough. Of course, it winds up being mounted backwards to that the leading edge is facing the direction of flight.

If you can't reverse the motor, then you need a pusher prop and that gets mounted in a "normal" manner -- again, the leading edge is facing the direction of flight.

A bad setup is where the trailing edge of the prop is now the effective leading edge -- it becomes a high-speed meat slicer.

Reply to
byrocat

And a very poor thrust-generator.

Dan