question about fabric covering

"Robbie and Laura Reynolds" wrote

You know, the more I think about it, have you considered contact cement? It should work fantastic for this kind of application.

It will probably need two coats on the fabric, but just one on the wood.

Try it on a small sample, and let us know!

Reply to
Morgans

I took everybody's suggestions and came up with a way to stick the fabric on. First I painted all of the edges with StixIt. Then I put the cotton fabric on, stretching it tight like Monokote and ironing it at the edges. I painted on more adhesive to iron all of the seams down where they overlapped. When I had everything tight and in place, I brushed on a heavy coat of Minwax Polycrylic water based semi gloss acrylic. It's still wet, but it looks great so far. Tomorrow morning I'll see if it's still stuck in place. I figure about 3 or 4 coats ought to do the trick. I'll let you know if it bubbles or loosens.

Reply to
Robbie and Laura Reynolds

different ways to finish the speaker cabinets.

If I may ask...... What is the difference in a speaker for a harmonica and a speaker for a guitar? Just curious!

Reply to
IFLYJ3

On Sun, 10 Sep 2006 20:21:08 -0500, Robbie and Laura Reynolds wrote in :

You work fast!

Thanks for the feedback. Much appreciated.

"One test is worth ten thousand expert opinions."

Marty

Reply to
Martin X. Moleski, SJ

There isn't any difference. However, there are lots of different makes and models of speakers on the market, and you have to choose the ones that have the performance that you are looking for. I have found a couple of specific speakers that have a nice Chicago blues sound when used with my amplifier designs. This kind of thing is best determined through trial and error.

Reply to
Robbie and Laura Reynolds

The Stits process requires (on certified airplanes) that its own Poly-Tak be used. I have used both it and dope and contact cement, and the Poly-Tak is superior to the other adhesives. It's similar to styrene model airplane cement (judging by its odor, speed of setting, the mess it makes on your fingers, and for some, the heady buzz one can get in confined spaces) and is extremely strong. Heat-shrinking can pull the fabric loose from some cements, but not Poly-Tak unless you overheat the glued area itself.

Dan

Reply to
Dan_Thomas_nospam

Um . . . polycrylic doesn't like alcohol -at all- (DAMHIKT).

According to the MinWax folks, polycrylic is resistant to the dilute sort of alcohol in mixed drinks if it is wiped up -immediately-.

These speaker enclosures won't ever see service in a bar, will they

-- the-plumbe

----------------------------------------------------------------------- the-plumber's Profile:

this thread:

the-plumber

The is and should be lots of difference. Guitars - electric guitars of solid body design anyway - use the amplifier, speaker and cabinet as a 'sounding board' - it is an integral part of the instrument.

The harmonica is merely 'amplified' and will need a far less distorted and colored loudspeaker.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

As a matter of fact, if you're looking for a good blues tone the harmonica needs more help than a guitar does. A good amp has to change a harmonica from a squeaky toy into an authoritative voice. A clean guitar sound is nice, but the cleaner the harmonica, the more annoying it is. The general rule is that the best guitar amps and the best harmonica amps are usually in two different groups.

Reply to
Robbie and Laura Reynolds

I just read the can, and it says it resists water, alcohol and other common household chemicals. If I remember correctly, Aero-Gloss dope is also an acrylic formula.

Reply to
Robbie and Laura Reynolds

I have an Ampeg SJ-12T and an R-12R that sound good for harmonica and jazz guitar.

The R-12R has a feature for dirtying up the signal via overdriving the preamp. Both are 60 watt tube amps with a single 12" speaker. Kind of gross overkill for most harmonica gigs, but I love them both for guitar and everything else I have plugged into them. Even if they do give you a hernia while moving them.

A Behringer anti-feedback box would come in handy when using a harmonica.

Ed Cregger

Reply to
Ed Cregger

Ed,

Is there a "rec.models.rc.air.binaries.mp3" newsgroup so you can play us all a tune?

:-)

Good flying, desmobob

Reply to
Robert Scott

No, but if you go to

and type Ed Cregger into the search window in the Artist category, you can hear four tunes that I wrote and recorded in 2003 while trying to learn a bit about Sonar recording software. All of the recording was done on my Dell laptop. I "played", if you can call it that, all of the instruments. No vocals.

Don't expect anything fantastic. It was just an exercise to learn a bit about the program and there are some mistakes that I haven't bothered cleaning up.

Ed Cregger

Reply to
Ed Cregger