Radios...

OK where to start... If you've seen my other posts you'll know I'm new to this hobby and want to do it right, so I'm looking for a radio not

4ch preferably cause I don't want to buy a bunch just cause I started on 4 and now I need or rather want 6, so if I can get some pointers it be great, someone did suggest I get a Spektrum DX7 but I'm not sure (especially after watching the info videos about it) that it can be hooked to a buddy box or even if it is ideal for a beginner, but I would like something that is kinda top notch that will last a longtime and I can grow with not need to replace every once in awhile and a few extra chanlles would be ice unless someone can explain how it effects the beginner (i.e. complexity or knobs that get in the way)

Dave

Reply to
Dave

Dave-

The Spektrum 6 and 7 both have trainer cord ports that are compatible with other Spectrum radios and JR radios (the baseband parts of Spektrum transmitters are OEM from JR).

Spread spectrum is beyond reasonable doubt the wave of the future. If you have a reasonable expectation of staying with the hobby/sport, The Spektrum R/C gear seems a solid investment.

As for complexity and knobs that might get in the way, the Spektrum radios are no different from other feature-rich digital radios. Keep your cotton pickers off the switches that control functions you don't need right now (not hard at all) and likely sooner than later you'll have the opportunity to learn how to appreciate them.

Abel

Reply to
Abel Pranger

| Spread spectrum is beyond [a] reasonable doubt the wave of the | future. If you have a reasonable expectation of staying with the | hobby/sport, The Spektrum R/C gear seems a solid investment.

Agreed.

At this point in the game, if you're going to buy new, I'd absolutely suggest a DX7, or perhaps a DX6 if you're *sure* that you only want to fly park fliers (and it's hard to be *sure* like that.)

If that's too expensive, get something used for half the price or less. Lots of people are selling good computer radio gear as they upgrade, either to better computer radios or to things like the DX7.

It's likely that spread spectrum 2.4 GHz modules will become available for existing radios soon, probably within the next year or so, but radios designed around spread spectrum do enjoy several advantages over those retrofitted to use it.

In any event, don't let `too complicated' guide you. `Too expensive', OK, but `too complicated' just means don't mess with those buttons. And besides, you only have to program the radio once (for now, anyways), and that test is open book and you're allowed to get your friends to help.

Reply to
Doug McLaren

The Spectrum DX7 is the way to go. Within a few years (or less ) ALL the manufacturers will be offering this. That doesn't mean that the "regular" transmitters will be no good. They will still be in use 25 years from now.

If this is not in your budget at this time, check out the Polk's Hobby Tracker III <

> This is an 8 channel radio and runs $180 with a 6 channel receiver and 1 servo and $200 with an 8 channel receiver and 1 servo. Extra servos run about $10 each, so you can add $30 to the total price - $210 or $230.

I have a Tracker II and really like the radio. I have had the radio about 2 years now, and except for 1 minor issue when it was new, it has been fault free. The III has a buddy box port and the radio and receiver can be used on ANY CHANNEL with ANY transmitter/receiver.

Reply to
Ted Campanelli

Spektrum modules for other brand radios are already out there in the car racing world. Probably will be available for aircraft radios soon if not already.

Anything other than Spektrum is old tech already.

Reply to
Jim Slaughter