Re: CA Kicker / Accelerator question

Some years ago, when I had my prototyping business, there was a Federa law that you did not have to include a MSDS (material safety dat sheet), with containers of hazardous materials if they were under certain size or volume. Most hobby shop sized packaging is exempt. Th MSDS number is not on the packaging, though they say to refer to it This law may have changed some by now, but I doubt it. I see on my ounce bottle of CA activator that there is a danger message, -"that i is an eye and respiratory irritant and to avoid breathing the vapors"- It is worse than that! Besides the nasty solvents it contain

*Toluidine* which is an known human carcinogen and can cause live dysfunction with higher levels of exposure.

Since I dealt with urethanes, epoxies and cyanoacrylates for 24+ years I have had to read many an MSDS and installed specialized ventilatio for areas of my shop. I was an expert in the field of castable thermose materials. I became sensitized to isocyanates in the urethanes (PUR) and the amines in epoxies, from years of improper ventilation and ski contact. I got to the point where I had frequent bouts of sinusitus an bronchitis and had difficulty being around many chemical; ammonia wa one of many.

This is a dirty secret that the modelling industry does not wan publicized. In general, they do not want you to know how bad som components of modelling/model making are. The best the hobby industr does is a cursory statement of "use proper ventilation". Remember mode plane cement with toluene in it? It got banned from the shelves and pu behind the counter so kids could not sniff it. Toluene is another nasty common ingredient chemical that causes lung, heart, liver and kidne damage. Here is what one medical reference states:

-Due to genetic polymorphisms, some people may be more sensitive to th effects of inhaled solvents than others.[2] Occupational asthma ha occurred in some workers exposed to toluene levels considered safe i the workplace. For such people, protective equipment should be used an provided by employers, even when toluene levels are in the acceptabl range.

Workers with a history of asthma induced by solvent exposure should als be warned about and protected from short-term exposure to highe concentrations. The duration of the exposure, not just the level, ma also contribute to asthma exacerbations, and should be monitored. 'Reference'

many of you are working without proper ventilation? How many of yo work in your bedroom or other small, closed room? You need circulatio that carries the vapors away from you. The solvents that act as carrier are very volatile and evaporate fast. This also makes them spread th chemicals in the air quite rapidly. The accelerators wouldn't spray an the CAs wouldn't run if it weren't for solvents.

IMHO, hobby shop owners and E-commerce suppliers should be more voca and more pro-active in educating the consumer of the risks and hazard of glues, accelerators, solvents and paints. A large warning sign shoul be above the CA display in stores. The print on my bottle is so small can hardly read it and it doesn't stand out in any way

Reply to
Scargo

I totally agree with you but like cigarette companies even if was made more visible, it would somehow get userped by some piece of unrequired advertising that some guy thought more important.

Reply to
Nigel Smith