Re: Dual Aileron servos

Use a seperate channel for each servo. With a Y lead, you lose the ability to control each servo independantly. Your manual should tell you how to do this.

MrBonk

Can anyone give me some idea of what is the best way to set up a servo for > each aileron, Y harness or can I use a seperate channel for the second > servo. I'm using an Airtronics Radiant with 6 channels. Can I use some of > the mixing functions on the radio for this? > > Thanks
Reply to
MrBonk

Thanks alot, Now all I got to do is find that manual

Reply to
2fat2fly

If you have a computer radio (I confess that I don't know if the Radiant is one of them), absolutely put the servos on different channels. That way you can very easily program for aileron differential in the radio (without screwing around mechanically) and you can even get free flaps without all the work (program flaperons). If you don't have a computer radio, get one. You'll wonder how you got along without it so long.

MJC

Reply to
MJC

"Best" is relative to purpose. Either way works well.

The advantage of the using separate aileron channels is that you don't require the added expense and connections of a Y harness, and you have the ability of using flaperons and landing pre-mix functions if you wish to.

The advantage of a Y harness aileron setup is simplicity, and that it requires only a single channel of your receiver.

cheers

Iguana Bwana

Reply to
Iguana Bwana

You can make thing a lot easier to setup and adjust if you use a separate channel for each aileron servo (assuming that your radio can do this). Aileron deflections are supposed to be asymmetrical. This is much easier to achieve by programming your radio, than by using a specially designed aileron linkage geometry.

Reply to
Andrey Tarasevich

You don't need a to buy a Y harness either...since its likely you will need to extend the leads anyway, cut both servo plugs off the servos, leaving a short length of wire on both the servo and plug bits, extend the servo wires, bring them together and solder to one of the spare plug sections. Voila! You have a two servo rig with long wires that costs no more than a bit of servo wire, and some heasthrink, to make, adds no dodgy connections, and doesn't weigh anymore than it has to.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

That's true enough NP. But the con of this methodology is that not everyone has the skill or is as comfortable with a soldering iron as you. We live in the consumer age of the ARF and a "Why build it when you can buy it?" mentality, a reality of which you and I are only too poignantly aware. :(

Also, and I'm talking JR kit here in the land of where everything costs a motza, a non-genuine replica JR Y harness can be had for as little as AUD$6-, so it's hardly worthwhile making your own except for personal gratification.

As for allegedly "dodgy connections", should we go there? In my observation, there's far more risk the typical contemporary R/Cer will end up with a dodgy connection attempting the do-it-yourself soldering route than in plugging a couple of connectors specifically designed to mate together. ref: KISS principle

Acknowledge all the alternatives however.

cheers

Iguana Bwana

Reply to
Iguana Bwana

Ther ahve been several case sof poorly crimped servo extenders and y splitters leading to at best, jittery servos, and at worst, critical loss of control.

Whether $6 and a visit to teh LHS is better/more relaible than 5 minutes with a soldering iron is of course a moot point, as also its the relative reliability.

Frankly, in this hobby |I reckon you need to be able to use a acslpel and soldering iron as the most basic tools: Arguably as I fly leccys, the latter is more imprtant since most of the kit comes with the wrong, or no, connectors at all!

Even an ARF requires fuel ines to be rigged, and cut, pushrods to be bent and installed, mostly, often it requires dremel usage to hack cowls about, glue to beef up dodgy firewalls - so whats new about soldering?

Just another skill.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

You need more practice on that typing tutor.....

David

snip

Reply to
David AMA40795 / KC5UH

You get all of the potential advantages of dual servos when you plug them in separately. There are no disadvantages, this way.

Reply to
John R. Agnew

A good crimp is 'better' than a poorly soldered joint, which was my point.

Everyone can achieve the former with their inexpensive OEM Y harness for a few $$, or proprietary JR for quite a few $$ more (soldered in the case of genuine JR), from their LHS. Z E R O tools/skill required. Were they collated, I've no doubt that the stats would support that in practical operation, few R/C connections *professionally assembled* (manufactured) with crimps fail.

You might reckon so, and so might I, but the salient reality is that soldering, metalwork and carpentry as basic practical skills aren't taught in schools any more, nor are most contemporary McFliers interested in acquiring them. Observably most even consider assembling an ARF an undesirable slog. If they could buy them truly RTF they would.

ARFs today can be assembled without any particular skills or special tools at all other than a hobby knife, a basic drill (for engine mount holes) and requisite glues. Their pre Z bent rods, pull-pull turnbuckles, nylon snap connectors & screw on nylon clevises are orientated toward a "follow the bouncing ball" diagrammatic construction engaging minimal tools, requiring the lowest common denomination of skill and at minimum effective cost.

BTW to suggest good soldering, and electrical component soldering in particular isn't an acquired 'technical art' is simply obtuse.

Iguana Bwana

Reply to
Iguana Bwana

The Radiant permits you to select dual channels for Ailerons by moving the cursor to FLAPRN and turning it ON by pressing the YES/INC+ key. If you do not want Flaperon action, which is controlled by the top upper right hand switch, zero out FLAP 2 using the NO/DEC- key and rotate FLAP 1 Knob fully Counter Clockwise. You can now set Aileron Differential by moving the Cursor to DIFF and set about 25-30% as a trial value. Flight testing will be required to determine if any differential or if any amount is required to prevent adverse yaw when ailerons are applied. If you need a Radiant Instruction manual or further assistance please call us.

AIRTRONICS TECHNICAL SUPPORT

800-262-1178

Reply to
Jack Albrecht