Re: getting FMS to work with JR Xmitter

I have downloaded the FMS simulator and it works OK - but is too

> 'sensitive' to be usable with the keyboard. > > Built up a connection thingy for my JR 8310 - it consists of a resistor > and zenor diode - connects the JR buddy port to the parralel port of a > computer. > > But, no joy at all. I tried reversing the conections, still no go. FMS > just doesn't appear to know that the JR is there - I tried all the > options in the menu to no avail. > > I have tried FMS with a USB joystick, but found that a very poor > substitute for the JR - just too sensitive to be useful - (by sensitive > I mean a tiny movement of the stick move the plane HEAPS) > > Am eagerly awaiting my copy of Real Flight G2 - is taking ages (4 weeks > so far and...) to get here from the US as the silly buggers sent it > surface mail, so would like to play with FMS in the meantime. > > Any ideas very welcome > > Cheers and a Merry and Safe Christmas to all > > David

I'm not sure if you're wanting to build this yourself or buy one, but if you're looking to buy, you can get a USB, parallel, or serial interface for your transmitter from this guy pretty darn cheap. I bought a USB interface to use with my Airtronics trans, & it works great - he even throws in a disk with FMS on it, as well as 700 other airtcraft. The disk also contains the drivers, & some diagnostic & calibration programs to help set it up. He also ships quite quickly. Hope this helps.

's+RC+Simulator&query=RC+Simulator+USB+(JR,+quattro)&refid=store

Reply to
Paintballmavin

If you're running XP you can use SMARTPROPO.

You'll need either a standard JR buddy box cable or 3.5mm mono plug audio cable from Jaycar or Dick Smith. Jaycar is cheapest but only

1.5m long.

p; impf

Reply to
pimpf

Quote: "I have tried FMS with a USB joystick, but found that a very poor substitute for the JR - just too sensitive to be useful - (by sensitive I mean a tiny movement of the stick move the plane HEAPS)"

When in the Mapping/Calibration mode, try clicking the "Exp" boxes when making the channel assignments. Exponential should decrease the stick sensitivity.

Gamepad throttle control is a challenge because the joystick neutral (centered) position may not provide enough throttle to maintain cruising speed. If more throttle is needed, try holding a little back pressure on the throttle stick in the calibration "Center All Sticks" mode while clicking "Finish".

Gamepad Suggestion: Saitek P880 (around $20 USD)

aeropal

Hi Oliver

Thanks to you and all the others who kindly replied - it looks like my question should have been about how to get the JR/FMS running with XP - because it seems my problem is that I wired up the simple interface as per the FMS site, but as I only have Windows XP that is where my problem originates.

Thanks again to all

David

Olivier tx2tx wrote:

Reply to
David

There is an option in XP, to run programs is a win 98 compatibility mode. I don't recall how to get to that option. Others?

Reply to
Morgans

Hi Morgan,

Yes, this option exists to emulate Win 98 with XP in order to run programs who do not run on win XP. But this option will NOT change the different way of XP in using control-protocols for the LPT and COM-ports (parallel and serial-ports). So in the case of FMS, the programs itself is running on XP, but the acces-problem via LPT and COM will not be solved by emulating win

98 with XP. Olivier (who runs on win98)
Reply to
Olivier tx2tx

Apart from the software driven interface SmartPropo, to get the TX FMS interface to work with XP you *require* a PIC interfaced connection. Although you can get one landed here in Oz for about $45, at this juncture with RealFlight on the way, spending money on a PIC interface isn't what I'd do.

Just spend the $4- at Jaycar on a 1.5m double ended 3.5mm mono plug cable and use Smartpropo with FMS. It works.

pimpf

Reply to
pimpf

Hi Jim

As a Mac user (I have only bought a Windows machine to run Real Flight) I know nothing about Windows except how bloody horrible it is - will check out about the 98 mode - worth a try so thanks

David

Morgans wrote:

Reply to
David