Trouble with FMS interface

Can someone tell me what I need to do to get my 4 Channel Futaba radio (came with the RTF NexStar) to work with FMS? It is recognized as a controller in the control of XP, but cannot calibrate it or use it with FMS. Can someone tell me what has to be done? I don't have to modify its circuitry do I? Thanks again.

Darren

Reply to
Darren Earle

You need one of these.

rc_guru

System is designed to operate only with RealFlight: refer to -=

If you wish to use with FMS then refer to the pages on how to make your own connector at =
see also the good information at
other links available at
under Buddy Boxes. Servo Leads.Simulators.Interface regards Alan T. Alan's Hobby, Model & RC Web Links

A.T.

Hi, UPDATE 02/08/04

FMS INTERFACES

This is a small summary of possible interfaces for FMS. Good study! The general rule : the PC needs from your transmitter the following : a) the ground b) the PPM OUT-signal How to find those 2 contacts on your buddy connector or how to find the connections in case your transmitter is not fitted with a buddy box connector, check out my website

chapter 1 paragraph 1.1

A) For Win 95-98-Millennium with FMS, 2 easy possibilities (above all possibilities that are also possible for Win 2000 and XP, see section "B").

1) THROUGH THE PARALLEL-port (LPT1) eventually with a resistor and zenerdiode, see the manual of FMS c("handbuch" in German)
or some examples on my website which I personally tested
figure 7f-fms and others in chapter 7. Or here :
(German).

2) THROUGH THE SERIAL-port See the manual of FMS ("handbuch" in German)

If you think you're not able to make such a cable, buy eventually one :
(German)

B) For Win 2000 and Win XP with FMS, a SIMPLE connection through the parallel-port or serial port is not working, those 2 versions of Windows are handling other protocols on these ports than Win 95-98-Millenium.

Your options then :

1) VIA PPJOY By downloading and installing PPJOY and connecting your transmitter with a simple parallel or serial interface. download :
:
2) THROUGH THE SOUNDCARD With smartpropo :
advantage is that it's simple to make : 1 audio-cable and a resistor or potmeter

3) THROUGH THE SERIAL PORT (Com-port) a) via an interface with a programmable IC (PIC), which is described in the directory of FMS, see .FMS\Doc\Interface\readme_en.htm on your harddisk. Or "Simple PCM" : this one has the advantage to use the power of the transmitter and not by the control-signals ofthe PC. And as such is neither depending on the system settings, neither of the used program :

Or

or the same electronic interface that you can buy ready to use here :
(German)
(French)

4) THROUGH THE USB-port
(selfmade)
(French)
(French)
selfmade)
: kit)
(German)
(German) If you have a 4-axis joystick, you can use an interface-cable gameport-->USB, for sale in every computershop, thus ideal for modern laptops without a COM-port

5) THROUGH THE GAME-port a) with an interface which transforms the signal of the transmitter in a joystick-signal

(French)
(selfmade)
(German)
(German)

b) buy a 4-axis-controller joystick

(German)

c) or make yourself a 4-axis joystick with an old RC-transmitter, removing all electronics, replacing the 4 potmeters by potmeters of 200K (not 100K like mostly mentioned), and wiring like in :

(French)
(French)

6) Or make a partition on your harddisk where you will install Windows 95-98-Millennium. Then you can connect your radio simply via the parallel-port or Serial-port as described in the manual of FMS and start the older Windows (see section "A").

Hope this helps, Olivier

Reply to
tx2tx

Yet the Realflight Interface works fine with FMS - ????

David

"A.T." wrote:

Reply to
quietguy