Trouble with FMS interface

Can someone tell me what I need to do to get my 4 Channel Futaba radio (came with the RTF NexStar) to work with FMS? It is recognized as a controller in
the control of XP, but cannot calibrate it or use it with FMS. Can someone tell me what has to be done? I don't have to modify its circuitry do I? Thanks again.
Darren
On Mon, 25 Oct 2004 23:35:17 GMT, "Darren Earle"

You need one of these. http://www.rc-electronics.co.uk/fms.htm
System is designed to operate only with RealFlight: refer to -http://www.realflight.com /
If you wish to use with FMS then refer to the pages on how to make your own connector at http://n.ethz.ch/student/mmoeller/fms/index_e.html and see also the good information at http://users.belgacom.net/TX2TX / and other links available at http://homepages.ihug.co.nz/~atong/ under Buddy Boxes. Servo Leads.Simulators.Interface regards Alan T. Alan's Hobby, Model & RC Web Links http://homepages.ihug.co.nz/~atong /

(came
in
someone
Yet the Realflight Interface works fine with FMS - ????
David
"A.T." wrote:

Hi, UPDATE 02/08/04
FMS INTERFACES
This is a small summary of possible interfaces for FMS. Good study! The general rule : the PC needs from your transmitter the following : a) the ground b) the PPM OUT-signal How to find those 2 contacts on your buddy connector or how to find the connections in case your transmitter is not fitted with a buddy box connector, check out my website (http://users.belgacom.net/TX2TX ) chapter 1 paragraph 1.1
A) For Win 95-98-Millennium with FMS, 2 easy possibilities (above all possibilities that are also possible for Win 2000 and XP, see section "B"). 1) THROUGH THE PARALLEL-port (LPT1) eventually with a resistor and zenerdiode, see the manual of FMS c("handbuch" in German) (http://n.ethz.ch/student/mmoeller/fms/index.html ) or some examples on my website which I personally tested (http://users.belgacom.net/TX2TX ) figure 7f-fms and others in chapter 7. Or here : http://www.pibros.de/ (German).
2) THROUGH THE SERIAL-port See the manual of FMS ("handbuch" in German) (http://n.ethz.ch/student/mmoeller/fms/index.html )
If you think you're not able to make such a cable, buy eventually one : http://www.customelectronics.co.uk http://www.mattclement.freeservers.com/fms/fms1.html http://www.virtualrcflight.com / http://www.k-webdesign.com/modellflug/rc-interface.htm (German)
B) For Win 2000 and Win XP with FMS, a SIMPLE connection through the parallel-port or serial port is not working, those 2 versions of Windows are handling other protocols on these ports than Win 95-98-Millenium.
Your options then : 1) VIA PPJOY By downloading and installing PPJOY and connecting your transmitter with a simple parallel or serial interface. download : http://www.simtel.net/product.download.mirrors.php?idu176 installation : http://www.geocities.com/deonvdw/Docs/PPJoyMain.htm
2) THROUGH THE SOUNDCARD With smartpropo : http://www.sekiriki.jp/smartpropo/manual.html The advantage is that it's simple to make : 1 audio-cable and a resistor or potmeter
3) THROUGH THE SERIAL PORT (Com-port) a) via an interface with a programmable IC (PIC), which is described in the directory of FMS, see .FMS\Doc\Interface\readme_en.htm on your harddisk. Or "Simple PCM" : this one has the advantage to use the power of the transmitter and not by the control-signals ofthe PC. And as such is neither depending on the system settings, neither of the used program : http://www.jdm-nivelles.be/fichiers/fms/SPCMliste.htm
Or http://myweb.absa.co.za/eric.brouwer/interface.htm b) or the same electronic interface that you can buy ready to use here : http://www.welwyn.demon.co.uk / http://www.customelectronics.co.uk/index.htm http://www.clonepac.freeserve.co.uk/prod03.htm http://www.hnpl.net/wt / http://www.rc-sim.de/workshop/rc_game/rc_game.html (German) http://perso.wanadoo.fr/patrick.bicheron/acceuil.htm (French)
4) THROUGH THE USB-port http://n.ethz.ch/student/maederb/ (selfmade) http://www.rc-electronics.co.uk http://www.welwyn.demon.co.uk/fms_lead/fms_lead.htm http://www.customelectronics.co.uk/index.htm http://www.milehighwings.com/usb_cables.htm http://www.geocities.com/simblaster / http://www.hnpl.net/wt / http://www.ripmax.com/FS_Simulators_Accessories.html http://www.modelisme.com/forums/viewtopic.php?tC46 (French) http://www.ifrance.com/aerofly/GO.htm (French) http://www.rc-scale.com/francais/_electronique/projet_interface_usb.html (French-German selfmade) http://rcsim.flugmodellbau.de/downloads/PDF-Dateien/interface_USB.pdf (German : kit) http://www.modellpilot.de/ (German) http://www.k-webdesign.com/modellflug/rc-interface.htm (German) If you have a 4-axis joystick, you can use an interface-cable gameport-->USB, for sale in every computershop, thus ideal for modern laptops without a COM-port
5) THROUGH THE GAME-port a) with an interface which transforms the signal of the transmitter in a joystick-signal http://membres.lycos.fr/silicium31/ (French) http://myweb.absa.co.za/eric.brouwer/interface.htm (selfmade) http://www.milehighwings.com/joystick_cables.htm http://www.geocities.com/simblaster / http://www.ripmax.com/FS_Simulators_Accessories.html http://www.rc-sim.de/workshop/rc_game/rc_game.html (German) http://www.k-webdesign.com/modellflug/rc-interface.htm (German)
b) buy a 4-axis-controller joystick http://www.rchobby.co.uk/gamebird_flight_simulator.html http://www.gamebird.de/de/index.html (German)
c) or make yourself a 4-axis joystick with an old RC-transmitter, removing all electronics, replacing the 4 potmeters by potmeters of 200K (not 100K like mostly mentioned), and wiring like in : http://soldcentralfl.com/flyingpenguin/rcstick.htm http://graccus.free.fr/joystick.html (French) http://iquebec.ifrance.com/st-prime/modif_rc.html (French)
6) Or make a partition on your harddisk where you will install Windows 95-98-Millennium. Then you can connect your radio simply via the parallel-port or Serial-port as described in the manual of FMS and start the older Windows (see section "A").
Hope this helps, Olivier
--
http://users.belgacom.net/TX2TX : buddy box compatibility problems between
different brands of RC-transmitters.