Re: optical isolator

The Feather was not one of Hitec's finest moments. I finally traded mine back to them for a 555 and have been happy since.

Rein

I have tried to use my hitec feather reciever with 2 different speed > controllers on 3 different planes and it always gets interferrence which > causes it to cut out the motor. I have tried the 3 capacitors method and > the shottkey diode. But it still happens. I was hoping to try and find a > speed control which optically isolates the BEC power. Does anybody know of > a manufacturer who makes such a speed control in the 20amp or smaller range. > > -- > Normen Strobel > snipped-for-privacy@email.uophx.edu > > > > >
Reply to
Mitch

I had a bad case of this - and there are two or three things more to try.

(i) get the ESC as far away from the reciever as possible. n my case the ESC - motor running, or not, seemed to cause problems with teh receiver.

(ii) Shorten motor-to-ESC wires and twist them together.

(iii) make up a little servo plug with a capacitor from plus to minus and lug it into a spare socket.

(iv) thread the ESC to receiver wire a few times round a ferrite toroid.

(v) foil wrap the receiver and earth the foil to the -ve supply.

This, plus the caps on the motor, and the schottky diode, has never faled to get a plane 'right'

In any given installation, something different seems to majke the crucial difference.

I was sidetracked on the last one by the fact I got interference with the motor OFF. But a clue that it HAD performed better when first installed had me thinking that I had pulled the ESC towards the recievcer when disconnecting the battery. Putting it back up front made a complete difference - the motor stll skips a beat now and again - but all my planes do that - but I don't get complete shutdown at 10 meters range followed by a crunching sound, any more :)

Soem ESC's are wosre than others it seems, as well. Remember they are high powered digital electronics, and generate some interference all by themselves...

OTOH it may be tme to bin the Hitec. Some recievers are just not good enough...

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher