Re: SeaPlane

Robbie and Laura.....If you have soft snow cover where you are in New
England, you might consider flying off the snow with a float plane....I've
done so with a Seniorita and a Fun 51 fitted with Gee Bee plastic floats
with great results.Floats are better for soft snow, but skis
skitter around less on icy snow. Add a big thermos of hot chocolate or
coffee and you'll be "cold , wet , miserable and very happy ".Give it a try
.
Good flying,
Pete Baylinson
TGW wrote:

>> Thanks for the information. That is a great site. I am new to the R/C
>> world. I am getting ready to fly the Hobbico Nexstar as a trainer, if >> the
>> snow ever leaves New England, and was looking to the future and what I >> may
>> be able to build. I am interested in seaplanes relative to the sizes on >> the
>> site you suggested. The PBY-2 Catalina has caught my eye as well as >> your
>> Seamaster II. I think I will order their plan catalog and look around
>> before jumping in. Thanks for the help.
>

> I hope you enjoy the catalog. Just about everything I build is from
> RCM. Every RCM plan that I have flies extremely well, with the
> exception of the Fat Porter. That one was a bitch. It's also a lot of
> fun to fly planes that are different from the ARF du jour. I have about
> 75 of their plans, and there are still a few more that catch my eye when
> I look through the catalog. If you ever want a recommendation for a
> particular type of airplane, let me know. It's an area of special > interest to me.
Reply to
Peter Baylinson
Where did you dig up that ancient message? Sounds familiar, though. Still building the RCM plans here, which we were all reminded of once again this week.
By the way, TGW is in New England. I'm in Missouri.
Peter Bayl> Robbie and Laura.....If you have soft snow cover where you are in New
Reply to
Robert Reynolds
"Peter Baylinson"
Yep, or make a set of skis for your plane. Not too hard, and they look spiffy.
I've done it both ways, too. It is a lot of fun. (I think)
The biggest problem is keeping people from walking on your runway, and leaving deep footprints in your landing area. You will understand what a pothole is, when your .40 sized plane drops into a size 10, 6" deep footprint!
Seriously, keep an area on the far side of the runway unused, while you are landing and taking off, if possible. That way, if you have to walk out on the runway to retrieve a plane, and leave footprints, you can land a little further away on the fresh, un-tracked-upon snow. Don't ask me how I know this, of course!
Reply to
Morgans

Site Timeline