Winter landing gear - ski's?

Anyone have suggestions/links on ski's for Winter flying?

I've got a glow powered trainer(.46), that came with 2 3/4" wheels (nose wheel, not tail dragger), and am curious what others use for Winter time flying in snow. --

Jim L.

Using - Virtual Access(OLR), ZAP 4.0, & WinXP Pro w/SP1

Reply to
Jim Lilly

Dubro plastic skis are pretty simple to attach and inexpensive. They work pretty well, except when the snow is real slushy. One of these years I plan on building floats and see how they will work on snow.

Reply to
Normen Strobel

I've flown a .46 size trainer (CG Falcon 3) on skis, made them out of aluminium. I could give you the size I used if I can find one, they are in the workshop 'somewhere'. I don't think the size is too critical, enough to support the weight of the model and no more. Shorter and wider than standard 'people' skis.

Reply to
David Smith

Normen,

Thanks! --

Jim L.

Using - Virtual Access(OLR), ZAP 4.0, & WinXP Pro w/SP1

Reply to
Jim Lilly

David,

If you run across them, fine....if not, no problem. --

Jim L.

Using - Virtual Access(OLR), ZAP 4.0, & WinXP Pro w/SP1

Reply to
Jim Lilly

I'll go down the workshop and look for something else. I'm bound to find them straight away that way!

Reply to
David Smith

Try this link:

Gord Schindler MAAC6694

Reply to
Gord Schindler

Floats are the best way to go, I tried skis and did not like them at all. where the skis would hang up on the runway, the floats glide right over.

Reply to
Dell Shannon

I found that the skis only really work on fresh, soft snow. If it has a good hard crust, or there is bare ice (we fly on the lakes, too) then wheels are better.

Reply to
David Smith

Jim L.

Jim, I find more people fly here in the winter than do in the summer. The only possible explanation is that they have to much to do in the summer. We have a great club field which is virtually unused, but there are often up to half to dozen on the ice in the winter.

Reply to
David Smith

David,

We have one member waiting for a pond to freeze, so he can retrieve a plane stuck in a tree in the middle of that pond.

--

Jim L.

Using - Virtual Access(OLR), ZAP 4.0, & WinXP Pro w/SP1

Reply to
Jim Lilly

Fancy leaving a tree in the middle of a pond!

Made me smile, though, thanks!

Reply to
David Smith

Reply to
Peter Baylinson

I've got a pair of GRP floats (40 size) kicking around; I might try them this winter. Good tip!

Reply to
David Smith

If you go with floats, it is a good idea to apply some of the grey fabric type duct tape to the bottom. This will protect them from getting eaten up by the snow and ice crystals. Gord Schindler MAAC6694

Reply to
Gord Schindler

Sounds like another good tip, thanks; I'll remember that.

Reply to
David Smith