Re: Shutting down, how many disconnects?

Definite overkill... In fact, I would SOLDER the motor leads to minimize

> the voltage drop from that UNECESSARY connector... > > With the battery disconnected, it ain't goin' NOPLACE!!,, > > Cheers, > > Bill

Bill,

I have a removable motor so I can replace it in a few seconds. For htis reason, I can't solder the motor leads together to eliminate the connectors. It's a very good idea though.

In the same vein, I have another question. I have 2 Kokam 1500 mAh batteries in 3S2P configuration, but the leads from those batteries are 10 inches long. They 're actually too long. Would shortenning them to about 5 inches save on current or cut down on resistance?

Wan

> Hi, > > > > I have a Slow Stick I've been flying indoors. Normally I turned the > > switch off, then disconnect the battery. A very helpful flyer who > > retrieved the plane for me also disconnected the leads from the motor. > > > > Is this over kill? Or is it necessary for safety? > > > > Wan
Reply to
Wan

Bill,

Doubt that shortening the leads will help much unless they are a small gauge. On the other hand, anything that cuts resistance isn't all bad.

However, your plug-in connections to the motor will impart more resistance than 5 extra inches of wire. Actually 10 inches for both wires.

"Saving on current" isn't exactly what's happening. think of added resistance in this application as losing power.

Happy Flying,

Mike

Reply to
Mike

Bill,

I have a removable motor so I can replace it in a few seconds. For htis reason, I can't solder the motor leads together to eliminate the connectors. It's a very good idea though.

In the same vein, I have another question. I have 2 Kokam 1500 mAh batteries in 3S2P configuration, but the leads from those batteries are 10 inches long. They 're actually too long. Would shortenning them to about 5 inches save on current or cut down on resistance?

Wan

Reply to
Wan

Wan, the resistance will be halved, as would any voltage drop across the length.of the wire.. Every little bit helps..

Unless you are changing motors regularly, there's no reason NOT to solder the motor connections, which only takes a few seconds, anyway. This connection, the main battery plug, and inherent losses thru the speed control are the primary places to waste power.

You cannot do much about the other two, but if you want peak performance, SOLDER the motor in place

The serious car racers even solder their battery packs in place to avoid the voltage drop of the battery connector. Car guys do things to battery packs that make Red Scholefield phisically ill...

Reply to
Bill Fulmer

Same thing happened in the thread about 10 postings above this one. I had posted a response to Bill twice and each time, wait 13 - 14 hours and it had not appeared here. Is there a person I may ask for a reason?

Anyway, here it is again for the third time;

Bill,

I have a removable motor so I can replace it in a few seconds. For htis reason, I can't solder the motor leads together to eliminate the connectors. It's a very good idea though.

In the same vein, I have another question. I have 2 Kokam 1500 mAh batteries in 3S2P configuration, but the leads from those batteries are 10 inches long. They 're actually too long. Would shortenning them to about 5 inches save on current or cut down on resistance?

Wan

Reply to
Wan

The other two show up. Perhaps your news server is a little confused :)

Will

- Our eBay Stuff

Reply to
Will Hicks