Re: total beginner

"John C" wrote in news:4E5Dg.49$Rh7.9 @newsfe11.lga:

CAn someone recommend a kit for a total beginner in the hobby? > -JLC > >

I started the hobbie last year in the same state as you. I didn't have a clue. I walked into 3 different shops looking for advice. 2 shops were larger establishments, one smaller and more personable. I bought from the smaller of the 3 because of the personalize service.

I asked the shop keeper what I needed to start. He recommended 2 aircraft.

1) the Sig Kadet and 2) the Seagull Boomerang.

I chose the Boomerang because of the semi-simeterical wing as it would allow me to expand my flying after ground school without having to buy a new aircraft right away.

I bought a HiTech Optic6 with flight pack and an OS46 engine to complete the package.

The ARF Boomerang only cost $117.00 and by the time I bought the engine, Radio/receiver, flight box and all the necessities to get started the total ran just under $1000.00.

The kit was high quality and was easy to put together. I was empressed that the hinges were plastic with metal pins (not CA Hinges) and were actually pinned into location. I had the model completed and first flight was within the week.

Ensure you join a club that has an excellent ground school. I have a very demanding job and could not attend regularly, however, with the quality of instructors that assisted me I achieved earning my wings within 8-10 flights. The plane really helped as well, it is real stable and forgiving and flys like a hawk.

Always look to and listen to the more experienced flyers for advise and learn from their mistakes, not yours. It is less expensive that way.

Another help is to buy a high quality Flight Simulator. One that uses an actual controller that resembles the radio you will use (not a joystick). I chose the Real Flight G3 Simulator from Great Planes. Although it cost $245.00, it has saved me over $60,000 in airplanes.

I have moved from the top winged Boomerang trainer to a SIG 4-Star 60. This is an excellent 2nd plane and is an excellent 1st low winged aircraft if that is the way you intend to go.

I still fly my Boomerang regularly as well as my 4-Star.

Remember, what goes up must come down and a Boomerang always comes back.

Have fun.

Brad

Reply to
WhistleHEad