Recharging batteries (stoopid question #79)

Hello all,

I bought my 12 year old son a $50 r/c foam plane toy the other day and we had such a blast "flying" that thing around (and retrieving it from the tree tops) that we're now dying to get a REAL r/c plane and learn the craft one step at a time (we haven't yet decided between the tiger moth, the slow stick and the scooter pro 2 from all the reading we've done on the subject).

But anyways, our question is (don't laugh!): how does one recharge the batteries on the field when neither an outlet nor a vehicle of any sort is available? The toy plane we purchased had a base recharger that used 8 large C batteries and that worked pretty well (seemed odd at first to use batteries to recharge batteries) but from what we've read so far nothing seems to indicate that this applies to the more sophisticated planes as well.

Or does it? All the sites selling this things just assume you already know a lot of stuff and it can be a bit frustrating when you're trying to get a start from scratch.

Thanks in advance for all your help.

Reply to
NubieAndSon

Not a stupid question at all.

You use a DC charger driven by a larger battery, usually in a flight box of some sort.

Have a look at Tower SKU numbers are LXL310 and LXL311 at

Be aware that not all DC-powered chargers can properly charge all types of batteries, so make sure the field charger you get is rated for you battery type i.e. NiCd, NiMh, LiOh, whatever.

Also make sure the field charger is compatible with your batteries current-wise.

For example, most flyers field charge at something like C/2, or at a current that is half the rating of the battery pack. If you had a 4.8 volt 500 mAh flight pack the C/2 rating would be 250 mAh from the 4.8 volt source.

Don't want to cook your batteries, y'know.

Do a bit of reading . . . lookit

Those articles aren't free, but they're loaded with good info and the subject range is impressive.

A few bucks spent on decent literature falls under the heading 'cheap insurance'. Cheers, Fred McClellan the dash plumber at mindspring dot com

Reply to
Fred McClellan

I'd say you are stuck then.

You had better get some lithium batteries, charge them all at home, and when the last one runs down, pack up and have a beer :-)

Actually, my advice is serious. Prices are only a little more than anything el;se, but teh advantages are immense

- vey little self discharge - they don't seem to need 'peaking up' before flight

- huge duration over NiCd or NiMh

- Light.

Get a small mains charger and some Li-Poly cells for a slow stick, and fly for hours of fun.

You have discovered why more peple are flying electric - FUN FACTOR.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

: how does one recharge the

I wrote:

Does anyone else see the problem with the above (top posted) response in relation to the original question?

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

OK, I missed the part about "no vehicle is available" Sorry

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Reply to
Tommy

Nubie&Son wrote,

Warning: "You will be assimilated. Resistance id fyoo-tile."

Bill (oc)

Reply to
Bill Sheppard

Where can you get these things? I see no mention on Overlander yet. Fed up with the care and attention my NiMHs need! noticeable drop in power and output if you don't use em right away, then if left stood a couple of weeks they need a proper cycling to get them going again, talk about reluctant!

Cheers.

Reply to
MDJ

I've heard great things about both of those planes. Don't overlook the Mini Piper from Hobby-Lobby, though. It's a good next step (three channels).

As for charging, it will fly 20 or 30 minutes on a 900 mAh battery, so I juice up a couple at home, put them in my pocket, and go fly 'til I get tired of looking up.

Dan.

Reply to
BykrDan

In my case its a tad diferent - I don't have the time to pack up gear and fly up at the club much - if at all - its a huge amount of time and a significant amount of diesel.

So I am prepared to pay for decent fun flying in the fields around me - or even the garden (and boy does THAT sharpen up your landing skills) and I certainl;y would NOT run a slimer here. Too noisy. Even teh Picojet is reserved for only occasional use...

Bigger cell types are coming in the US - Thunderpower for one - and probably teh price WILL come down considerably.

Yes. if you can master tuning engines, rather than Motocalc, and have a place to fly em, its bags of power on a budget price still.

I am not religious about electric, just keen to make sure that people understand what they can and can't do.

The real point is that a SMALL electric - up to 400 size - is pretty economical, can be flown in a small space, is bags of fun, and is quiet and loads of fun.

The fact remains that the most economical slimer is around .25-.40 in size, and tends to be louder, fly faster and weigh more. Safety dictates you hAVE to fly at a club, or on private ground of considerable size and well away (noise) from habitation.

Brushless prices ARE down. You can get a brushless and controller for £100 - OK thats more than a MDS40, tank and servo, but not much - I reckon about £150 would net a pack, ESC and motor that will haul a small (45" maybe) planbe straight up and fly for 20 minutes.

Factor in fuel costs, and its not so far out after all.

The big costs come when you want to do it in a bigger model.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher