Reinforcing a Fiberglass Fuse

I am building an Electric plane that has a Fiberglass Fuse. To strengthen the fuse they recommend using formers, however I need the space inside the plane to put in Battery Packs. I've heard of people using carbon fiber threads to strengthen a FG fuse. How is this done? I bought some carbon fiber tape from Dave Brown, do I just lay it around the inside of the fuse and then soak it the CA or expoxy? I've having a hard time believing that this will work? Any thoughts?

Reply to
Normen Strobel

The carbon fiber tape will firm a rock hard area almost as well as a bulkhead!

Reply to
jeboba

I just remembered that my Giant Scale Planes Bipe has carbon fiber reinforcement, so I tested it's strength. It didn't seem to add much, the sides of the fuse where the tape was still flexed in and out with only a little pressure. Are you supposed to use CA or Epoxy to affix the carbon fiber? It looks like they used epoxy.

Reply to
Normen Strobel

This method is used by BVM in his jets. Get some CF "tow". Saturate with epoxy and simply lay it around the fuse where required. Scuff the inside of the glass fuse to assure a good bond. It is a bit messy but the strength is amazing.

Regards

Tom Watson Sydney Australia

Reply to
Tommy