Resin ??'s.. Epoxy over Polyester or Polyester over Epoxy?

Need to do some resin work in the very near future and the project I'm working on has been resined before. I forgot if you can do epoxy over polyester or polyester over epoxy.

If memory serves, the 1st resin job was epoxy, but am not 100% sure so I'd rather re-resin with the stuff that'll stick to either epoxy or polyester..

a lil' help please!

Reply to
The OTHER Kevin in San Diego

Tim Wescott

Epoxy over polyester!

Reply to
<nbsa

Looks like Epoxy is the way to go..

Thx Tim!

Reply to
The OTHER Kevin in San Diego

For some reason Polyester resin doesn't cure when used over Epoxy resin. On the other hand, Polyester resin doesn't bond very well to Epoxy and may delaminate later on. It's best to use what ya used before. However, you can coat Epoxy with a thin layer of 5-Minute Epoxy and Polyester sets up fine. 5-Minute Epoxy doesn't seem to inhibite the curing the way regular epoxy does.

Reply to
Double Ace

Don't know what I used before - it was over 20 years ago.. In any case the Epoxy resin I used cured up just fine and there doesn't seem to be any adhesion problems - at least none that a couple hours of sanding could have turned up.

Reply to
The OTHER Kevin in San Diego

That's the way i recall it, Ace. Another solution I recall from the lore is to take a swipe of CA over the polyester (or unknown) resin, then epoxy will adhere and cure.

Abel

Reply to
Abel Pranger

epoxy over polyester. Polyester eats epoxy so you can't go that direction.

"The OTHER Kevin in San Diego" wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com...

Reply to
Jim Slaughter