work over net or not?

which is better drag a project off the network to work on then put it away or design over the network risking outages and data loss? our new network is 1000m, we just upgraded. i never work over the network but a guy here insist yet he cant explain why it's better tia

Reply to
C[[]]

bob z. has always looked at it this way - if you copy the project off of the network server and put it on your box, you are basically making an automatic backup. if you keep the project on the network, you are without a backup. bob z. is sure someone could shoot some holes in this idea, but it seems like it is fairly foolproof.

bob z. ps does the guy you work with dip skoal bandits?

Reply to
bob zee

looked at it this way -

you know it AND him Z

Reply to
C[[]]

If you copy a project, or any part/assembly/drawing from the network, how do you know someone else hasn't done the same thing? Then when you copy it back, who is going to overwrite who's latest revisions? If your group is extremely disciplined, then you can get around these inherent network issues. If your group is spread out and doesn't communicate every day, you will eventually end up having several copies of the same files all over the network and no one knows who has the latest revision.

Just ask yourself one question: How much will it cost if the wrong revision makes it out to the shop floor? $5,000, $10,000, more. These dollar figures are way more than getting a PDM system in to simply manage your SolidWorks data.

These are PDM 101 issues that PDMWorks can address. So if you have the software (included in SolidWorks Office Pro), I would highly, highly recommend you look at using it. I've seen it fix these issues many times with little effort needed from the engineering and especially IT groups.

Steve O

Reply to
SteveO

gigabit or no gigabit, performance (large assemblies) is at the speed of snail over the net. look at pdmworks (work local, checkin to a network vault), well worth it when working in a workgroup.

Reply to
kenneth

messagenews: snipped-for-privacy@f16g2000cwb.googlegroups.com...

gigabit, performance (large assemblies) is at the speed of

we are a group of 3 and we work on our own projects. rarely do we concurrent engineer. there is no real fear of overwriting data. my issue with this practice is performance and data loss. thanks!

Reply to
C[[]]

"C[[]]" wrote

Do you have parts/sub-assys that are shared between more than one job, and are the files spread across multiple folders?

If the answer to both is "no", then you may get away with copying all the files locally.

If it is "yes" to either, than managing the process of copying the files back to the server will be an error-prone nightmare. This is where a pdm system would automate the process.

Also, a word of warning regarding BobZ's view that copying the files locally is more secure because "you're making a backup". It's only a backup if you don't alter any files. If you spend 2 weeks working on the project and your hard drive goes pop, then you'll have lost your data (unless you also backup your c: drive every night).

John H

Reply to
John H

Other than the concurrent working thing you need to have a stable and fast network as I believe SWX continually reads and writes to and from the network.

We have a small network in our office and it works OK - but then there are only 2 of us accessing it and not always at the same time.

I have tried it at home over my wireless network coupled to a Netgear SC101 network storage drive and it is a nightmare - it falls down on a regular basis once or twice a day - its much more efficient to work from a local copy or a copy on a flash drive.

Kev

John H wrote:

Reply to
alphawave