Robart Robostruts

A while back, I bought a set of Robostruts ($!) for a trike gear model. Since then, I decided to buy retracts for it and they come with telescopic struts.

I have a little Hobbico TwinStar that would look a bit nicer with the Robostruts installed, but I was wondering....

The Robobstruts would attach by cutting off each of the TwinStar's stock wire gear legs to a short stub, then slipping the Robostruts over them, securing them with set screws. Would this now make the gear more prone to bending back, since all the stress would be concentrated to such a small area of the original wire?

Id rather have the spindly wire look and reliability than good looks and lots of hassles... the model is not very scale-looking to begin with.

Good flying, desmobob

Reply to
Robert Scott

On Sun, 24 Sep 2006 12:58:22 GMT, "Robert Scott" wrote in :

I'm gonna guess "no."

The struts will relieve some of the backward forces by riding over rough spots instead of hitting them head-on.

Whatever springiness you lose in the fore-and-aft axis you will probably get back in the up-and-down axis.

I love watching active gear work. I fly at a bumpy grass field, so I have a good test bed. I haven't flown with robostruts myself, but I've seen a couple of sets at the field. Both planes crashed before they gained a whole lot of time testing the landing gear.

Marty

Reply to
Martin X. Moleski, SJ