Same chargers?

Hobby Lobby AST109 Astro Flight 109 Lithium Charger for up to 9 Cells Connects to a 12 Volt automobile battery and charges up to 9 Lithium
Polymer cells.
Tower Hobbies COMMENTS: IMPORTANT! Never use an automobile battery charger as a power source, it could damage your charger.
The above advice was given by two different suppliers. You can check out their web sites.
Could anyone explain the differing advice for using the same specified charger?
Wan
I don't see different advice there. Please explain.

remove my-wife to reply :-)

Most automotive battery chargers provide a pulsed output. Some electronics, like computers and the like, don't like this type of voltage. Dr.1 Driver "There's a Hun in the sun!"
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com (Dr1Driver) wrote in message

He means he doesn't see CONTRADICTING advice there. "uses an automotive BATTERY" vs. "never use an automotive CHARGER."
| Hobby Lobby | AST109 Astro Flight 109 Lithium Charger for up to 9 Cells | Connects to a 12 Volt automobile battery and charges up to 9 Lithium | Polymer cells. | | Tower Hobbies | COMMENTS: IMPORTANT! Never use an automobile battery charger as a | power source, it could damage your charger. | | The above advice was given by two different suppliers. You can check | out their web sites. | | Could anyone explain the differing advice for using the same specified | charger?
Like the other poster, I don't see any differing advice.
One says you can charge it off a car battery. The other says not to charge it off a car battery *charger*.
A car battery charger often gives too much voltage for this charger, and without a car battery to `even it out', it can cause damage.
Outlook not so good." That magic 8-ball knows everything! I'll ask

IIRC many automotive chargers put out something like 14.2 volts, which probably will fry the hobby charger. However, most automotive 12volt batteries that are not near the end of their economic life show around 13 volts when freshly charged. I would not use a hobby charger on a battery while I was charging it. Red probably has better info, but I try to be somewhat conservative with my choices.
wrote in message

I suspect it has more to do with AC filtering and inductance loading than supply voltage. Constant current chargers vary the charge voltage to maintain constant charging current. As the battery peaks, or at low charge rates, the charging voltage is lower. The higher the supply voltage, the more power it has to shunt and dissipate. It seems unlikely the small difference in voltage between a car battery charger and a car battery is enough to make or break whatever it is they're worried about. But then, I could be just passing gas. Heed the manufacturer's warnings. Read the specs and instructions to find out what was really meant.

<snip> I would not use a hobby charger on a battery while I was charging it. <snip> Doug, I'm confused with this statement. Please explain. Do you mean you'd not use a "charger for a car battery " to charge a Li Poly battery? Not meaning to be a wise guy.
Now that I've re-read the advises carefully I do notice not to charge it off a car battery "CHARGER". I had read it as not to charge it off a car battery, missing the "charger" part. Sorry for being such a dupe.
So it's all right to use a car battery as a power source for the Astro 109 charger when or if I get one. I couldn't find one anywhere. Now if anybody would tell me where one may be purchased now, I would appreciate it.
Thanks, Wan
| > IIRC many automotive chargers put out something like 14.2 volts, which | > probably will fry the hobby charger. However, most automotive 12volt | > batteries that are not near the end of their economic life show around 13 | > volts when freshly charged. I would not use a hobby charger on a battery | > while I was charging it. Red probably has better info, but I try to be | > somewhat conservative with my choices. | | <snip> I would not use a hobby charger on a battery while I was | charging it. <snip> Doug, I'm confused with this statement. Please | explain. Do you mean you'd not use a "charger for a car battery " to | charge a Li Poly battery? Not meaning to be a wise guy.
It's not my statement. No wonder you're confused :)
Car battery chargers can work via a number of different methods. Some might be fine to use to power your charger, others might not. I wouldn't risk it.
It is ok to power your R/C charger from your car battery. It's usually ok to even use your car battery while your car battery is being charged or even if your car is running (and therefore charging the battery) though I seem to recall one charger somewhere (old, long gone, probably for that reason) that wouldn't work like that.
| So it's all right to use a car battery as a power source for the | Astro 109 charger when or if I get one. I couldn't find one anywhere. | Now if anybody would tell me where one may be purchased now, I would | appreciate it.
http://froogle.google.com/froogle?q=astroflight%20109
Personally, I'd suggest a Great Planes Triton charger instead if this is to be your first charger. Similar price, similar specs (but only 5 amps instead of 8), but it can also do NiCd, NiMH and Pb batteries. If you want the Triton, get it from http://www.towerhobbies.com . Be sure to use an appropriate coupon code!
Don't get me wrong. Astroflight puts out good stuff, but the Triton really does kick ass for the price.
--
Doug McLaren, snipped-for-privacy@frenzy.com A closed mouth gathers no foot.

snipped-for-privacy@frenzy.com (Doug McLaren) wrote in message wrote:

Doug, Yes I was confused. As many posters have pointed out, I should have read more carefully. I bought my first Li Poly battery late last fall and have much to learn about Li Polies and their chargers.
The reason I want an Astroflight 109 is that I was told since it could input 8 amps for charging and I need 5 amps in order to charge faster than the ~2 hours (3S3P Li Polies) with the Triton (Max 2.5 amps, best I could get by the menus dial) that I have now.
I know the Triton took ~2 hours for a 3S3P, but is the information given me correct for the Astroflight 109?
Thanks, Wan
| Doug, Yes I was confused. As many posters have pointed out, I should | have read more carefully. I bought my first Li Poly battery late last | fall and have much to learn about Li Polies and their chargers.
Well, with regard to how they are powered, their chargers are not very different from NiCd/NiMH chargers ...
| The reason I want an Astroflight 109 is that I was told since it could | input 8 amps for charging and I need 5 amps in order to charge faster | than the ~2 hours (3S3P Li Polies) with the Triton (Max 2.5 amps, best | I could get by the menus dial) that I have now.
Didn't realize (never noticed, my biggest pack is 2200 mA) the Triton wouldn't do 5 amps on LiPoly. Wonder why ... must just be a software thing, trying to be `safer'. Certainly, the hardware is capable of it, because it does it with NiCd.
Since you already have a Triton, I guess it makes sense to get a specialized charger if that's what you need.
| I know the Triton took ~2 hours for a 3S3P, but is the information | given me correct for the Astroflight 109?
Don't know. You could call them and ask. (310) 821-6242. I have an Astroflight 110D, and it charges at 5 amps, even when charging a single cell glow starter battery, where my Triton throttles itself back to 1.9 amps or so (because it's putting out a lot of heat when you do that.) (Granted, the 110D does get pretty warm when doing this, which is understandable as it must be making about 50 watts of heat.)
--
Doug McLaren, snipped-for-privacy@frenzy.com A watched clock never boils.

snipped-for-privacy@frenzy.com (Doug McLaren) wrote in message wrote:

Doug, By "specialized" does this mean the Astroflight 109 charger would only charge Li Polies? I could live with that. Thanks for the phone number; (310) 821-6242.
I will call them and ask.
Wan
| Doug, By "specialized" does this mean the Astroflight 109 charger | would only charge Li Polies? I could live with that. Thanks for the | phone number; (310) 821-6242.
The number came from putting `Astroflight' into google and hitting the first link. Not exactly rocket science.
From that same link, you can click on `Digital Peak Chargers' and then on ID 109 - Lithium Charger, which says this :
Charges from one to nine cell Lithium Poly Battery Packs. Charge rate 50 ma to 8 amps.
So I'd say yes, it only does LiPoly. But if there's any doubt, call and ask.
Of course, the 109 hardware is almost certainly capable of charging NiMH, NiCd and even Pb batteries -- but the software is not. I wonder why they did that ...
--
Doug McLaren, snipped-for-privacy@frenzy.com Hurry, Robin, to the Batmobile!

Doug McLaren wrote:

Too easy to leave it switched to NiCd when doing LIPOLY... then 'pouf' :-) Besides once you have LIPOS you sell your Nickel stuff anyway.
| > Of course, the 109 hardware is almost certainly capable of charging | > NiMH, NiCd and even Pb batteries -- but the software is not. I wonder | > why they did that ... | > | Too easy to leave it switched to NiCd when doing LIPOLY... then 'pouf' :-)
I can see that, but I suspect it's more of a marketing thing -- they'd prefer that you buy two chargers instead of one :)
(After all, you can plug a battery into the wrong charger too, then `pouf'.)
| Besides once you have LIPOS you sell your Nickel stuff anyway.
Hardly.
I still have lots of NiCd and NiMH batteries left. And lead Acid/Gel-cell batteries too. My transmitter packs, receiver packs, power tool, etc. packs are for the most part still NiCd or NiMH, and I have no plans to replace most of them with LiPoly cells.
And I still have plenty of NiMH and NiCd electric plane power packs too. I could sell them, but nobody would give me much for them. They work fine, so I'll continue to use them in planes as appropriate. I probably won't buy many more, but the ones I have still work, so ...
The world needs more people like us and fewer like them.

You already have a charger for those. No biggee. Right?
Wan wrote: does this mean the Astroflight 109 charger

Correct, but it's worth it m8

Wan wrote:

I ran my 1089 of a car charger with a car battery attached for some time. It works OK.
Best bet is Cosel 13.8V CB style supply
Why are you asking these eejits here? www.ezonemag.com has all the answers to your questions, and more.

I ran my 1089 of a car charger with a car battery attached for some time. It works OK.<snip>
this was not the original item in question.. he had thought it said not to run off a charger..

13
battery

I've been to www.ezonemag.com, though it's full of information about electrics, I found it difficult to navigate. For me anyway.
Pardon my ignorance. What is an eejits?