Servo waterproofing, how to?

What is the best way to waterproof a servo. Just recieved my first pair of floats and hope to be flying dry this weekend. Just to be protected, what do I need to do to waterproof my servo's? I assume I wrap my RX in a bag and seal with wax?

thanks for your suggestions

Raymond

Reply to
Raymond

I fly a couple of float planes that also serve as land planes. In fact I flew my little electric Piper Cub off the local pond today... it was like taking off from glass... wonderful.

I haven't waterproofed anything on my planes, or taken any precautions against splashes. No damage or concerns yet. I did dip my Cub in the pond a few weeks ago, the airframe got a little wet, and the wing servos got soaked, but after it had dried out everything worked fine.

-- Philip Rawson

Philip Rawson

I wouldn't worry too much about extreme waterproofing. Unless the water is REAL bad with scum or pollution, the water won't do much damage if it is cleaned out quickly (within a few hours). Just remove the covers and soak with IPA and let it dry.

Reply to
Paul McIntosh

refer to =

section = Reviews, Plans, FAQ & Tips, Jet drive. under - Boats, Yachts, Submarines, Warship Combat and Nautical reviews

in particular =

and refer to the Section of "How To's" e.g. Measuring Top Speed Waterproofing Tips & Info Motors Tips & Info Boat Setup & Modifications Wiring & Electronics Info Batteries Tips & Info Hardware Tips & Info Misc,etc

see also = "Servo & TX alterations, calculators, clonepacs, make an ESC or winch, FAQ" under sub section - "Radio Systems, Accessories, Alterations and FAQ"

regards Alan T. Alan's Hobby, Model & RC Web Links

A.T.

I don't go overboard on waterproofing the electronics on float planes. Go ahead and wrap the receiver in a bag. Also look for places where water could enter and seal them. For example, the wing saddle. Run a bead of silicone sealer along the saddle. Lay some plastic wrap on top of it and then install the wing, but leave it a bit loose. Let it dry for a day, remove the wing and peel off the plastic.

Reply to
C G

Reply to
Gord Schindler

My plane want in a lake motor first, find it one houre later. Back home got all electronic out. RX was full of water, disassamble all the servos, none had whather inside.

Reply to
Nebulus

There is a water displacing compound called Aeroplate that will waterproof the circuit boards on your RX as well as your servos. Just spray it on and it will shield your electronics from water. It is non conductive so it is safe on live circuitry. I'll give you 2 links to peruse at your leisure.

latter URL is for combat boaters. Hope this helps.

Jim W

Reply to
Black Cloud

Condoms are the way to go here. Light strong and hopefully watertight and infinitely flexible.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Very useful information.

I would add one thing though. If you dump anything in seawater wash it out with fresh ASAP before doing anything to dry items out.

Salt water creates havoc with electronics...

Malcolm

Reply to
Malcolm Fisher

Condoms (not used) and silicone grease where the wires and pushrods emerge.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher