Covering the stab/fin fillet on a scale Cub

I recall one of the model mags, possibly MAN, running an article several years back that showed how to cover a stab/fin fillet WITHOUT using a filler block. The model shown as the example was, I think, a Sig 4*40... The covering formed a natural fillet, as is done on a fullscale Cub...

Any of you scale types remember the technique shown?? I have a customer that wants to do it with a BUSA QS Cub...

Thx,

Bill

Bill Fulmer

I've done it using Solartex on my 1/4 scale Cub. It took a fair amount swearing and a couple of drops of cyano to do the job neatly...

-- Philip Rawson

Philip Rawson

What I had done in the past using SIG Koverall and Dope. Using one piece of fabric per side, tack it down around the edges of the fin, do the back edge and top of the fin first, then work front, just like you would when covering open framework only do not tack it down at the fillet and the area surrounding it. Use only a small amount of dope to hold the fabric to the front edge of the fin, do not tack the fabric to the piece of wood (aka as you would with monocoat) just the front or edges of the wood. Working past the "fillet" area, tack the fabric down only on the top of the stab or fuselage stringer that runs back through. Then using a flat brush (1/2 inch) with thinner, "shrink" the fabric and "unstick the dope" with the thinner as needed. It sounds harder then it is, what you need to do is let the fabric be the "filler" between the fin and stab. I have also done it useing two pieces of fabric also, one for the fin and one for the fuse and just filled the fabric overlap line during painting. Once you start shrinking and unsticking in the needed places, you can visualize the form coming together. I had some pics of mine I had taken, but I cannot find them at the moment. Take your time and the scale looks are well worth the effort. rick markel

My Model Aircraft Home Page

Aileron37

Hi Bill --

First off, make sure the lowest rib on the fin is wide enough to adhere the covering to, then add a 'rib' of sorts to the stab/fuselage location where the fillet will end. I then used SuperCoverite to iron on a piece, wrapping it over the rib to adhere. BEFORE shrinking, run a bead of THIN Zap at the end of the cloth, then slowly use a heat gun to shrink.

Reply to
Lyman Slack