Prop adaptors for electric motors

Hi,

I've just bought some electric motor prop adaptors from Overlander, they are of the type shown at .

Unfortunately they are not drilled all the way through and so so the prop driver will be about an inch forward of the front of the plane if I use them.

My question is, is there another type of prop driver / adaptor suitable for 3.2mm and 5mm shafts that doesn't suffer from this drawback ? If the type I've got had a larger diameter thread and the hole was drilled through the threadded part as well then that would be ideal but I'll consider anything else that does the job.

Before someone posts the obvious, I have decided against dremmelling off the end of the motor shaft.

Many thanks,

Reply to
Boo

I have never come across a hollow shafted adapter.

Can't you move the motor back?

I often dremel off shafts actually..have to to fit MPjet gearboxes....

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I couldn't find any hollow-shafted adapters either, hence the question.

Anyway I found the answer : Drill out the shaft of the adaptor at 3.2mm for another 8mm or so past the collet. Now the adaptor slides all the way down the motor shaft so there's no need to hack it off with the dremmel.

Obvious really...

Reply to
Boo

They're not supposed to be drilled all the way through. I'm not sure how that'd work with the collet style adapters anyway...

There are all kinds of prop adapters. Don't know exactly what you think you're looking for, and all my sources are US-based. You're probably not terribly interested in waiting weeks and paying duties and excessive handling fees.

No, the obvious is to move the motor back.

Reply to
Mathew Kirsch

Reply to
djindivik

I admit that was my first thought too but it's a big pita to have to mount the motor on standoffs and source screws of exactly the right length (remember they can only protrude into the motor to a very limited extent). And then it's such an ugly engineering solution to have the spinning thing so far from the bearing...

Reply to
Boo

I would find it just too much of a kludge to see a big gap behind the spinner. Also this is for a (semi) scale Mosquito and if I'm going to spend 50? on a pair of scale spinners I'd like them to be in more or less the right place ;-)

Actually, drilling them out isn't too much of a problem : Using a bench drill press I first drilled a 5mm hole into a bit of wood, then screwed the adaptor into it by the thread that takes the prop nut. A new

3.2mm drill bit made short work of drilling into the aluminium adaptor from the back. The setup is guaranteed concentric by the fact that you don't move the bit of wood between drilling the 5mm hole in the wood and the 3.2mm hole ing the adaptor. I was very careful not to go too far into the adaptor, stopping short of the threaded section. If anyone tries this and finds the adaptor spins in the wood block then it occurred to me that dampening it would make it swell and grip the adaptor tighter, I didn't need to do that but if anyone else tries this then it may be necessary.

Hth,

Reply to
Boo

Bends the shaft easily.