30Int and BT30 Tooling

Having just bought the Beaver turret mill, I am now on the lookout for some

30Int tooling for it. I have loads of 40Int for the A&S mills (1ES and 2ES) but sod's law says I have to get a vertical with something different!

Talking with John S about the differences between 30Int and BT30, it seems that there isn't a huge difference, only the rear parallel section with the drawbar thread on the 30Int whereby the BT30 has only a straight taper body.

Any thoughts/experiences from users on the merits (or otherwise) of using one or t'other??

Peter

Peter A Forbes

Count yourself lucky, Peter - I've got both on the same mill!

Thers seems to be more 30INT around secondhand than BT30, & if you try to use both you'll be constantly messing about with drawbar lengths.

What are you looking for in particular? I've got a few more bits of 30 tooling than I need, after getting a job lot of QC30 for the Bridgeport.

I've also got a nice little high speed angle head for a Beaver.......

Cheers Tim

Tim Leech

Agggh..not another person to compete with .. need some of the stuff myself . only have one collet chuck and four collets so far.. I was going to bid on this little lot ......but when it said bid =A3190 to "WIN" in the last 30 seconds I changed my mind .. still wondering if I should have bid..see below.

anyone got some of this stuff cheap...give me a shout... all the best...mark

Reply to
mark

Don`t know about the 30,but WNT are doing 40`s for =A328-=A332.Their site will either be

or
regards,Mark.

Reply to
mark

If you look at how much of that stuff you would actually use, it seems to me to be a bit pricey, you can't use them all at once :-))

I did see them but kept out as the prices were rising quite sharply, always a bad sign....

I'm chasing another lot locally, so if I get any spares, I'll give you a shout. I will also be talking to Tim leech about his bits on offer as well :-))

I will have to check on the beer token stocks!

Peter

Peter A Forbes

Certainly not! :-))

With so much stuff coming on the market, there's no need to pay premium prices, especially with the amount of machinery being scrapped at present.

Peter

Peter A Forbes

Not a bad deal for someone who wants most or all of it, IMHO. Looks as though a lot of it is QC30, wouldn't mind a QC30 autolock myself!

Cheers Tim

Tim Leech

Just looked for WNT site,it`s actually

they don`t have an online catalogue. Mark

Reply to
mark

RDG had some nice 30Int tooling from a UK company that closed down.

I had MT adaptors, Sidelock / Weldon holders and ER collet holders from them.

Steve Larner

Reply to
Steve Larner

Thankyou Peter. think I nead The QC ones .ones with the single collar on. I dont know really but ..think I would rather have ...because "I think anyway" one with a Morse one taper... one with a Morse two taper and one with a Morse three taper ..rather than using sleaves .....do you think this will be more accurate than sleves or am I being toooo fussy. Also nead at least two more collet chucks......so that I can make full use of quick change and have all the chucks lined up with drills, pilot drills and reamers etc. also one with an Albrect hand tighten chuck. then I nead a full set of collets...not sure but I think most of them take DA180 collets. also the collet chucks have to have the little loose threaded things inside, to secure endmills with threaded shanks. also handy would be a flycutter one. lol.......you can see this list could get very long ....so I'll settle for some of them for now .... Anyone else who has any of the above give me a shout........cheap please.....ebay is getting to be beyond a joke. oh btw ...I live in Prestatyn North Wales..so the nearer the better..... I've just got hold of some "brand new" very-shiny David Brown adjustable reamers with vernier adjustment.......these would make a nice swap. all the best.....mark

Reply to
mark

I was hoping that you two between you would come up with the idea of making a new spindle :-).

The details I got from tiny Griffiths at

seem to indicate that the only difference is in the spindle nose itself. Could one make an INT40 adapter to bolt onto the end of an INT30 spindle in place of the driving dogs?

Mark Rand RTFM

Reply to
Mark Rand

Presumably it wouldn't be too difficult to make a new nose? At the worst it would be a few beer tokens...

I did mention this to John S, but at the time I hadn't actually got the machine and we did discuss the ins and outs of converting the existing one if it were to be 30Int. A lot were supplied with 40Int which was an option apparently.

Peter

Peter A Forbes

6 of one, 1/2 dozen of other, new, BT30 is cheaper out here and ETM make an adapter that allows the same drawbar to be used. Somehow I think you won't be buying new anyway...:-)

Tom

Reply to
Tom

I'll be going to have a look at some stuff on the weekend at a dealer's place, I'll post here if there is anything significant that we could maybe do a 'bulk buy' on, rather than individually.

Peter

Prepair Ltd

OK that's great Peter...I will be watching this space. all the best........mark

Reply to
mark

How do I explain this to SWMBO?

regards Mark Rand RTFM

Reply to
Mark Rand

You don't, it just gets sneaked indoors when she isn't looking!

That's what the rest of us do....

Peter

Peter A Forbes

If your wife is "Frank", then I won't be bending over forwards to help you! (But should a married couple be Frank and Earnest?)

Reply to
Airy R.Bean

OK, went over to High Wycombe this morning early, to miss the traffic.

Found our man OK and he showed me a cupboard with lots of assorted tooling, mostly 40Int but a lot of 30Int as well.

I selected a 'small pile' of 8 holders, comprising:

1 Clarkson Autolock with 9 collets and an adaptor nose for 1/4" shank tools. 2 MT adaptors, one 3MT one 2MT 2 shell cutter arbors (different sized parallel shanks) 1 shell cutter holder with cutter in place, albeit a bit worn! 1 Acramill collet holder with 1 expanding collet fitted. 1 Box of 36 expanding collets and the holder to go with them.

I thought that was a reasonable collection to start with, and I paid enough money so that he was happy enough for me to go back again to buy more if required.

He will deal with private buyers, and is open most Saturday mornings. It is a small one-man busines with a couple of helpers, and the prices for the machinery he had seemed quite reasonable compared with some London dealers, but that's my opinion....

He does have some 30MT to large Clarkson collet tools there, a couple if I remember correctly, and there were other boxes that I didn't look into.

Contact me off-list for his details if you want to contact him direct.

Peter

Prepair Ltd

A busy day yesterday! Up at 5.00am, drove with the trailer to Bramcote Farm*, dropped the trailer off. Solo to Derby, had a meeting, did some other work (the day job!) Back to Bramcote Farm to collect the trailer, now loaded with 80 yards of 7.25" track, then off to Redditch to see Richard and collect two 4.5HP 24v electric motors, then back down the M5 and M4 home to Wiltshire.

At Bramcote Farm I noticed that Adrian had an interesting coach that set me thinking. It was the style of a railcar. Using that as an idea and whilst carefully observing the traffic on the way back down the motorway, I had the following ideas.

The railway at Lackham will initially move from being a straight up-and-back to one half of a dumbbell. I will then need a turntable to turn the steam engines (and Stumpy). A railcar is very tempting. It could have two driving positions that can be lock out when not in use. Space for say, 7 passengers plus driver and be driven off one of the 24v electric motors.

Adrian was saying that Cromar White now do a controller that can be "ganged" so I could build a second, identical, railcar that could worked in tandem with the first when we got busy.

This raises the following issues/questions!

  1. The electric motors have hydraulic pumps attached. How complicated would it be to make it hydraulic drive (I've never played with this, so it's a steep learning curve). Who does hydraulic kit? What will I need? (How expensive is it compared to other drives?)

  1. I could use a body mounted motor with a cardan (prop) shaft type drive (Like the Virgin Voyagers). Has that ever been done in this gauge?

  2. The motor is too wide for a 7.25" bogie, but I need to gear it down, so a 90 degree change and an gear box is another option.

  1. I could use 2 x 12v batteries, even 4 x 12v batteries, but I would like a way of recharging them. How about putting a cheap generator (£60 these days for a 850W and a 12v output) in one of the seats (suitable soundproofed) with fans for cooling etc. to charge the batteries when the vehicle is idling. Can you have the batteries, effectively in parallel for charging, but in series for the motors?

So many questions, but at least they are all ME related!

Cheers

Peter

*Bramcote Farm - Home of Adrian Grimmet and the "Engineer's Emporium"
Reply to
Peter Sheppard