Simple Green on sale @ Lowe's

Hi Gerald!

Hi Ed

UR keyboard broke?

94NFK

Translation for the Morse challenged - I think. hehehe

Reply to
The OTHER Kevin in San Diego

The OTHER Kevin in San Diego wrote: > 94NFK

G4NFR

Reply to
John Miller

Simple Green was used for a few years on Navy aircraft until it was discovered that it attacked the aluminum skin panels. It ate into the surface and embrittled the aluminum layers.

Fritz

Reply to
Fritz the Cat

Interesting. I've never seen or experienced this with my stuff. Any links to this information?

Doc

Reply to
"Doc"

From the Naval Safety Center Winter 2000-2001 Issue:

From Our Readers...

Dear Editor:

The cleaning liquid Simple Green should not be used to clean aluminum equipment or parts because it is highly corrosive.

According to an article AVweb, a 3.5- gram aluminum alloy sample was immersed into a container of Simple Green. After one week, the sample was 295 milligrams lighter. The article further states that the Air Force issued a statement not to use Simple Green on Air Force equipment containing aluminum.

Thought you Navy folks would like to have this information.

MSgt. Larry Stulz Wright-Patterson AFB, Ohio

We appreciate your information about Simple Green. Lt. David Mims, head of the Occupational and Environmental Health Division here at the Safety Center, researched the Simple Green situation. He found that the Naval Air Warfare Center (NavAir) disapproved of the use of Simple Green for naval aviation in 1993. They have a documented incident of crazing of an F-18 canopy following the unauthorized use of Simple Green. According to an official at NavAir, they have tested the product at least three times since 1989. Simple Green fails sandwich corrosion and total immersion-corrosion tests for aluminum. That official also said NavAir recommended that commands remove Simple Green from their spaces. It's just too easy for someone who's told to clean something to grab a bottle of Simple Green off the shelf and use it on an airplane or equipment made of aluminum.-Ed.

Fritz

Reply to
Fritz the Cat

Submerged it for one week? My aluminum parts are lucky to see 1/50th of that contact time throughout their lifespan. I'm gunna keep using it.

Doc

Reply to
"Doc"

You should buy a couple hundred gallons of it and start taking a daily bath in it. That regimen would go a long way to removing your crusty old geezer exterior! Unfortunately, drinking it will do little for your insides!

Ciao,

Mr Akimoto, Ret. US Navy Lt. Commander

Reply to
Mr Akimoto

Why do you feel it necessary to flame everyone without provocation? You have little to nothing useful to say about anything and seem to be fixated on "geezers." I guarantee you I'm 1/2 your age anyhow...............you old festering fart!

Mr. Doc

Reply to
"Doc"

Because his only real talent, that we have seen, is to "get your goat". Yes, there is some sad reason behind it but please don't feed the trolls. :) mk

Reply to
MK