Sub. for E-flite 480 BL brushless?

Is there a good substitute for the Eflite which sells for $69? It would be used in a 37 oz. Cessna 195. Thanks Ted.

Reply to
Ted W Lee

From the Eflite website, I gather that it's a 3 cell, 22 amp 1020 kV motor. Pretty much any motor that will handle 22A will handle 3 cells, so look for a motor with 1000-1100 kV and >20A continuous current, preferably one that doesn't weigh over 100g (the EFlite is quoted at

87g).

Probably all the major motor companies (Hacker, Himaxx, Axi, Great Planes, etc, will have something in that class.

Of those, you probably can't go wrong with Hacker, Himaxx, or Axi, but they're not going to be any cheaper than the Eflite (frex, the Axi

2217/16 is $75 at Tower, or the Hacker A30-16M for $79 at Hobby People).

There's nothing fundamentally wrong with the GP motors (afaik) but people seem to have problems GP power handling, so if you go with a GP motor, make sure it's rated for at least 30A. The GP Rimfire 3536-1000 is a little heavier than the Eflite (~100g), but it's $44 and would probably work fine.

KMS has a comparable motor (2814/08, 980 kV) for the same price at Hobby People. I'm not a fan of the small, cheap KMS motors but the bigger ones seem to be decent. Like the Rimfire, it's a little heavier, but would probably work fine.

BP Hobbies (formerly Balsa Products) has a their A2814-8 for $30, it's also ~100g and has more power handling than you need, but it's cheaper than the others. I'm operating another motor from that series (a

2908-10) and it's working just fine for me.

Personally, I like cheap and I don't mind taking a few chances, so I'd probably go with a Turnigy 2217 16 turn motor from Hobby City. They're startlingly cheap (~$18 for that motor) and I've liked the other Turnigys I've used. To be fair, though, the 2217 is from a different series than the Turnigys I've used, so I can't vouch for it. There's a Turnigy

35-30C that, according to the reviewers, can be pushed well over 20A, and I *have* used motors from that series and I've liked them. It's about $20. Uhhh . . and neither of those Turnigys are in stock right now. I really avoid ordering things that aren't in stock, especially from Hobby City.

So - after all that - are you looking for an alternative to the Eflite because of the price, or you've had a problem with them, or it's just not in stock, or what?

- Mark

Reply to
Mark

Thanks for your very detailed reply Mark. It's the price I'm looking for.

Ted.

Reply to
Ted W Lee

It so happens I have a Turnigy C 3530 1100KV that would seem to fit the spec exactly. Only flown it once, but it preforms pretty well.

for details.

On an APC E 10x7 it was up around 20A on 3s.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher