Supertiger 2300

I've done some googling on this topic and done a lot of reading. It seems like most of the data on this motor in the archive is fairly dated.

What can folks tell me about recent experiences running this motor? I've got an opportunity to pick up a relatively low time one with a slimline muffler and the original muffler for about $75. I've examined the motor and the bearings etc look good. Its never been crashed.

I believe its a 2000 vintage motor so it may suffer from the mid range issues.

IF people are running them successfully what are the fuel and props being used.

Thanks

CHris

Reply to
Chris Spierings

Chris,

First off, this isn't a cheap solution.

I've never flown an ST2300 with the stock carb or the stock muffler.

I use a Perry pump carb and a Mac's Pipe (#1195). Mac's will make custom headers for you if you give them enough lead time.

Use Dubb Jett's (web site) instructions for setting the pipe length.

Using 10% Cool Power, (18% oil, not Big ST fuel), APC 16-8 prop, and properly tweaked pipe/carb, I get 10,600 on the ground.

You must play with the mixture setting to get adequate acceleration through mid-range with rich enough top end when the pipe resonates. If you have a programmable radio and an extra servo, use a Perry mixture control to richen the mixture at full throttle.

If you don't want to fool with the pipe, Bisson makes a Pitts style muffler.

I sometimes use a starter for the first flight of the day when the pump's dry. Otherwise, it usually starts on the first back-flip.

With an APC 17-8, it'll pull a four-star-120 out of sight vertically after about an 8 foot takeoff run.

Just one thing ...

See the first sentence.

Mike

Chris Spier> I've done some googling on this topic and done a lot of reading. It

Reply to
Michael Appleby

This is a great engine, for practicing dead stick landings. In no time, you will be an expert.

Reply to
Joe Parrish

The price does make me skeptical.

Chris

Joe Parrish wrote:

Reply to
Chris Spierings

It is critical that you run no more than 5% nitro and 10% oil. Specific "tiger fuel" is sold. I have several tigers and love 'em. They start on the first flip! Getting the carb set up right is tricky. It's all in the low range needle. Once you get it set though, you'll never need to touch it again.

The price is about right for a used Tiger. I'd go for it if I were you. If you don't want it, let me know..OK? I'll take it.

Reply to
jeboba

huh ? 75$ for a 2300 is about right ? I too would be skeptical.

Reply to
Dell Shannon

I have bought a LOT of large tigers, up to including the 3250 for under $100. A BRAND NEW 2300 is only $159 from Tower Hobbies. Used engines should not be more than 50-60% of their original new price. If you are paying more, that is your choice but IMHO you are overpaying.

Reply to
jeboba

My friend Walter has been fighting his for a good long time - he finally got it running - and it runs great now...6 years later and a whole pile of crashed planes due to deadsticks. He is truly tenacious and stubborn.

"Yes, I have had it in a Hanger 9 Cap for 6 years. It always deadsticked. It sufferred from the rich midrange problem.

I put a Perry carb on it couple years ago but it didn't help. I was running it on Omega castor/syn

15%. OS 'F' plug.

Recently I put a Cline fuel regulator in, YS four stroke plug and switched to 15% pure synthetic.

No dead sticks. Great power. Still a little rich in the midrange, but not a problem. Running a APC 17/6 at 9300.

I think running pure syn. and the Cline reg. made the difference. It might even run good with the stock carb and no Cline if you used 15% Cool Power and a four stroke plug.

Being an old timer, I always felt you had to have some castor in the fuel. Not anymore. I'm going with pure syn. in everything but ABC engines.

Walter"

Reply to
RedFred1

Andybody know what sort of power curve this motor has when its running?

Chris

Chris Spier> I've done some googling on this topic and done a lot of reading. It

Reply to
Chris Spierings

I do not agree with the answers you got here. Clearly you can do quite a lot better. This is a great wonderful engine. I have devoted some work on it, which can be read at my website. Take your time. If you want to spend some money on it, give her an OS carb type 7D. The modifications I described are easy, once you understand what to do. I used the engine with a very roomy muffler and a 18x8 Menz-S prop. A 18x10 apc will do as well. A friend in our club ran, and still runs, about 25 gallons through the engine, in 3D and aerobatics. For 'batics he uses a 16x12 carcon prop and 5% nitro in the fuel (18%oil) The only thing replaced was a broken ring. Plug is OS-F, and deadsticks happen only if you forgot to fuel up.

The new China assembled engines have the suggested carb mods incorporated, so you might get a new carb.

Reply to
Pé Reivers