Kudos to Horizon (long)

I know that not every time is an experience with a distributor or manufacturer a pleasant occasion. Also, I realize that when it isn't a good experience we often hear about it. But when service is exceptional I think we should also hear about it. I'm sure I'll hear of the other side of this from some of you and no, I don't work for Horizon. I'm just a satisfied owner of many Horizon products. My experience started with a purchase of a Saito 180 motor. A powerhouse of a motor that ran like a good watch. I started to experience a problem about

8 months after purchase. The muffler would continually loosen up no matter how tight I made it. I contacted Horizon Hobby and they said they have heard of a few similar problems and offered to send me a new muffler at no cost. Wow, I didn't even have to ask, they offered. My problem disappeared and I continued to fly with that motor every weekend for another 18 months. It started to loosen up again and would not stay tight. I eventually lost the muffler in flight. Fortunately a fellow club member had a new muffler from a Saito he put a pitts muffler on and made me an excellent deal. I safety wired this new muffler to the engine mount so I wouldn't lose it. Upon examination I could see the threads in the head were almost gone. The motor vibration had rattled around the manifold to the point of destroying the threads. I had posted on this group about my problem and received many opinions on how to help solve this problem. Some held for a week or two, some didn't. I phoned Horizon, told them I no longer had a receipt and then explained my situation and they suggested I send it in for them to look at. I was prepared to spend some to fix it correctly. I shipped it to Horizon on Dec 13th. Today, the 26th I phoned to find out the status and was told they looked at it, fixed it and sent it back and was due back to me today. The tech told me it was covered under warranty, no charge. Terrific customer service and quick turnaround. Sure enough it arrived today and I could see they replaced the cylinder at least, and may have done more, but there was no explanation. I'll call tomorrow and find out exactly. I wish all distributors/manufacturers were as accomodating as those in the RC hobby industry. I've had similar pleasant experiences with Hitec and Tower. Great job, Horizon!
Reply to
Howard

Its good to hear something positive about diff companies from time to time. All my experiences with Horizon have been positive incl when I purchased a Funtana 40 which had a wing damaged in shipping. They not only sent me a replacement wing but included a prepaid shipping label to send the broken one back. Took less than a week. Made me one happy camper!

Reply to
Fubar of The HillPeople

n message

I have also had a positive experience with Horizon. I purchased a Typhoon 2 from my local hobby store. The radio was crap and the brushless motor burned out after a few flights. I sent both in for them to evaluate and they sent me THE ENTIRE ARF. The radio was still crap in the new one, but I put a Futaba reciever in and use my 8U super.

I now have an entire spare ariplane (less motor and gear box) that flys great. The radio is still crap though..... I get hits when I am flying by myself and it has a very SLLLLLLLOOOOOWWWW response from stick to control surface.

Overall, very positive customer service, but a flawed (did I mention the radio is crappy?) product.

Alex.

Reply to
Alex

message

I bought a Commander 2 that turned out to be too underpowered to fly. They told me to send them the fuselage and that's just what I did. They sent me back an entire new (if a bit dusty) Commander 2 kit. Wings, transmitter, battery - the works. I lost the plane this Summer, but because of the extra parts I only had to buy a new fuselage and tail, which I plan on making into a new plane this Winter.

Reply to
mjc1

Horizon Hobby service sucks. Had a terrible time with their Funtana 90. A common problem was the Funtana

90 wing. Very poor quality workmanship caused their wings to disintegrate in mid-air. When I contacted them, about this problem, they told me to get lost. Good customer service, I don't think so. RM

"mjc13 @verizon.net>" >>>good

Reply to
Robert Myhara

Really? Those were their exact words?

Reply to
mjc1

A brand new airplane, a real nice flyer, but I was warned that the wings needed reinforcement, because they were too weak and had poor quality control. I didn't believe the rumours and flew it as it was. Well after a few flights, the wing suddenly failed, literally blew apart. I contacted Horizon, who didn't really want to hear about the failure. Finally the guy I was talking to said, well sent it in then, I suspect just to get rid of me. Well I did, packaged it up real nice and sent it in, cost me 20 bucks postage. A couple of weeks later I got a call from the same guy saying, yah it failed, what do you want us to do about it? I told him that airplane wings shouldn't just fall apart and I want them to replace it. He said no. To add insult to injury he wanted to know if I wanted the bust up failed wing back. A smart ass yet. Horizon Hobby sucks. RM

"mjc13 @verizon.net>" " >>>>>good

Reply to
Robert Myhara

Apparently you either got a bad support person, or your winning manner somehow put them off. ;-) In any event, they didn't tell you to "get lost". They declined to replace the wing. That sucks, but it isn't what you claimed.

Reply to
mjc1

mjc13. that is pure supposition so I'll respond the same way. You read Robert Myhara's angst in this post and for some reason wanted to counter it. ;-) How in the world would you know he got a bas support person? It may well be that Horizon isn't ready to take the loss of those bad wings until something happens that might cause them to actually lose money because of it(bad press, like this or a law suit). Again, I'm making it up as I go like you did. ;-) His manner, that you suppose he used, was understandable if what he says is true(do you believe him?) It's not the manner that might have gotten better results but I doubt kissing their ass in this case would have helped. Again, this is pure claim.

In any event, they didn't tell you to

More than sucks. When he said get lost I didn't take him literally. I got the message he was trying to communicate. In effect they did say get lost. Can you imagine being in his position? Looks like he went beyond reasonable to get help and got screwed. I do want to go on record to say I'm happy with Horizon(just in case my Zenoah 20 needs support, I don't want the "bad person" to hve it in for me. ;-) mk

Reply to
MJKolodziej