Painting info please

I seem to recall that there was a recent discussion in this forum about the use of dope plus talcum powder for a sanding sealer, but can't seem to track down the discussion. I'm trying to fill the weave of Koverall with clear dope. After 4 coats, I still haven't succeeded. A fellow modeler in our club said he'd used dope plus talc but couldn't remember how much talc to mix with the dope. I'd appreciate advice in that regard from anyone who has used the dope/talcum powder formulation.

Thanx in advance for your help. Jerry

Reply to
Jerome A. Westphal

When I was doing control line, in my MUCH younger days, I used talc with clear dope for a sealer. Don't let it get too thick or it will be a brush-out nightmare. You can buy sanding sealer dope, you know. :) Dr.1 Driver "There's a Hun in the sun!"

Reply to
Dr1Driver

I have just filled the weave on some koverall with "Permafil" a plaster type readymix filler. If you add water to make a thick slurry then it paints on ok and sands off easy. Dope the fabric first to seal it and sand lightly before putting on the filler. A coat of thin dope seals it ready for painting' Ian

Reply to
Gerry Attric

Reply to
strathboy

use of dope plus talcum powder for a sanding sealer, but can't seem to track down the discussion. I'm trying to fill the weave of Koverall with clear dope. After 4 coats, I still haven't succeeded. A fellow modeler in our club said he'd used dope plus talc but couldn't remember how much talc to

used the dope/talcum powder formulation.

I usually use around 3 or 4 parts unscented talc to one part dope. The real key is mix it very thoroughly. Put on a coat or two, sand lightly, repeat. You will find after a few coats the finish is completly filled. Add a few more and your color finish will look like glass and be very smooth. Take your time and check your work as you go. There is nothing like a good paint finish that some will swear is a film covering. rick markel

My Model Aircraft Home Page

Aileron37

Rick,

3-4 parts talc to one part dope? Are you sure you don't have that reversed?

Chuck

Reply to
C.O.Jones

LOL, your right Chuck, brain fart on my part. Thanks for pointing it out.

rick markel

Reply to
Aileron37

Reply to
strathboy

Reply to
Jerome A. Westphal

I never measured. How much you use depends on how thick you want it and how many times you plan to sand. If you are brushing it on, and you use too much, the result may be streaky. If you use too little, then you might have to apply another coat and sand again. I just add talc until the viscosity is like thin syrup.

Jim - AMA 501383 (remove NOSPAM to reply)

Jerome A. Westphal wrote:

Reply to
James D Jones

Microballoons are a lot easier to use and lighter since they are mostly air. Mix enough so that you start to notice the change in consistency and then just a little more. The mixture will be nearly opaque.

Reply to
Paul McIntosh