Squadron Putty

Is it just me or does this stuff dry out too fast ? Tamiya putty stays soft, but the Squadron stuff has the consistency of playdoh - and the top is tight and the tube threads clean.

Craig

Reply to
Musicman59

Are you using green or white? I always hated green and had a hard time working it, but found white to be very good.

Reply to
eyeball

Take a look at the responses to your "Squadron v. Tamiya Putty" issue a few months ago. Most of the responses indicate one issue or another with either kind of Squadron Putty, mostly along the lines of: Squadron White: stiff, doughy, brittle but feathers well Squadron Green: solvent may be "too hot", won't set

Reply to
OldSchool

...Squadron green hasn't been of any use to me since they changed the formula back in the late 80s/early 90s. I use Tamiya putty exclusively now.

And Berna Assembler clamps - almost don't need putty anymore since I've discovered them.

Reply to
Rufus

Rufus wrote in news:HECpm.42951$la3.12511@attbi_s22:

I haven't used Squadron Green since it melted my Hase A-10 when I took a ball of the stuff mixed with shotgun pellets for weight stuck in the appropriate place and came back to find it horrifically distorted. Booo! Hisss!

Reply to
Gray Ghost

When I was much younger, and maybe dumber...I tried filling the nose of an A-20 with the stuff. I got a lot of nice A-20 parts for my scrap box afterwards!

Reply to
eyeball

I use a mixture of talcum powder and Humbrol glue after a similar incident. It sets in about 3 minutes so you have to be quick shaping it. Only drawback is that I have to mix it as required as it can't be stored. Came up with the idea as I used to use polyfilla and dope on flying scale models for the same purpose.

Reply to
Stadia