Squadron White Stuff

So I'm using my fairly new and previously unopened tube of White Stuff and I notice that the putty has seperated. So two questions: 1) What caused this (the cold - my workshop is in my garage and overnight lows can hit upper thirties in there) 2) Will it affect my work? The putty seems harder when it cures, but maybe I seeing something that isn't really there. Your thoughts appreciated. Thanks

Reply to
The Old Man

This has happened to me. My guess is that the "hard stuff" in old tubes tends to separate from the liquid carrier. My problem is when I squeeze the tube only the liquid carrier comes out and really messes things up. Unless the putty has cured solid, it can be used by remixing with the carrier or adding new carrier solution. The only solutions I can offer is to remix the putty and carrier either inside the tube (tricky) or outside of the tube by placing same in another container. No sure what the liquid is, probably toluene, but it can be replaced by substituting with Testor's liquid cement (or similar brand) or with lacquer thinner (cellulose thinner).

Hope this helps you.

Kaliste

Reply to
Kaliste Saloom

Thank heavens it isn't something that I did then. For some time it's been difficult to get mine out of the tube. I thought mayhap I'd not closed the tube tightly. When I do get it out it is very dry and hardens quickly.

Bill Banaszak, MFE Sr.

Reply to
Mad-Modeller

This is starting to sound like it's time to send a letter to Squadron to find out what is going on. If they're willing to put their name on an item, they should make sure that said product is up to snuff.

Reply to
The Old Man

Last time I tried Squadron white putty I decided that it's far too brittle - it has a nice fine grain, but it wouldn't stick to where I put it. And it wouldn't stick on top of the green stuff.

Neither one of them is up to hte standard of the old green Squadron putty from the 80's and before, IMO. They changed the formulation and not the stuff just ain't what she used to be. I've switched to using Tamiya putty and have been VERY satisfied with that.

Reply to
Rufus

I gotta disagree about the Squadron green putty. For me, it goes on smooth, dries fast (if thin coats), sticks well, and actually welds itself to the plastic.

Reply to
willshak

Yeah, the green stuff sticks (the white stuff cracks and flakes), but it's no where hear as fine grained as the old formula, and it tended to leave large open "bubble"-like pits after sanding and not feather out very well when I used it after they first changed the formula. Because of that I haven't used it in a long time. A very long time.

Maybe they've reformulated again...but Tamiya putty is the single best one I've found since the old red Dr. MicroTools stuff. If I could still get Dr. MicroTools, that's what I'd be using now.

Reply to
Rufus

Reply to
eyeball

I'd skip it and just try some Tamiya putty. It's a bit more expensive, but I find I use less of it. Between using Tamiya putty and my Berna Assembler clamps, I hardly have to use much putty at all.

Tamiya putty is very fine grained and feathers very well - it dries fast, sands easily, and stays put. I really love the stuff.

Reply to
Rufus