squadron green/white putty

whats thedifferance? got both, just used green to fill around a t bar roof on a camaro where i dont want one.

whats each good for? cheers

Reply to
JULIAN HALES

IIRC the white putty is a finer grain, shrinks less, and works well. It can also be thinned with Testors Liquid Cement.

I hated the Green stuff and have not used it in 20 years.

Cookie Sewell

Reply to
AMPSOne

Not much, IMO. Maybe they're okay for filling in shallow scratches but they're too prone to shrinkage and don't take scribing worth a damn.

Reply to
Al Superczynski

thanks, it was banned in the UK for a while but everyone raved about it, the green anyway, i hate revell putty and humbrol is about the best i have found.

i used the green, should have used the white by the sounds of it, is it ok to apply them on each other week 100% hard?

Reply to
JULIAN HALES

thanks Al, cheers for the fone chat, hope i didnt bore you.

I would have used superglue for the gap around the clear roof parts of the t bar but wanted to try the putty.

Reply to
JULIAN HALES

Go to your auto parts store and look at the putties they have.

Here's what I use;

I also go to a plastic supply store and by glue by the quart; about every 2 years.

SB

"The time has come, The Walrus said, To talk of many things: Of shoes and ships and sealing wax Of cabbages and kings And why the sea is boiling hot And whether pigs have wings."

My kill file;

ProMedeller

Reply to
SteveB

I have grown to like the "red" better than the "green" or "white". It seems to be harder to find, under the "Squadron" name...but it is the same thing as Bondo Filler Putty (automotive), as I believe they are both made by the same outfit. It seems to shrink very little, after thinning with Testor's Liquid Cement, and dries/cures relatively quickly.

Reply to
Greg Heilers

Thanks Steve

Reply to
JULIAN HALES

Reply to
JULIAN HALES

I never heard of Squadron red...or is that testors/model master red?It's better than Squadron green,but I still prefer white. Testors white in the little grey tube is useless.

Reply to
Eyeball2002308

Best ever was "Dr. Microtool". It was a red and worked very well. I am on my last tube, when it's gone I guess I will have to start experimenting.

Bill Shuey

Reply to
William H. Shuey

They make a good first putty on resin as long as you follow with something like Tamiya silver/grey putty for the topcoat.

Reply to
Ron

Differences? To me the green is a bit thicker and sets quicker. They both thin with Testors liquid cement in the glass bottle. The only thing I have ever heard was Squadron started the white putty so the 'car guys' ( pun intended) would quit whining about ghosting under primer/paint. Both work well for base applications with a finish layer of auto spot putty for best results.

-- Chuck Ryan snipped-for-privacy@REMOVEearthlink.net Springfield OH

Reply to
Charles Ryan

Not at all. Sorting out your British accent exercised my powers of concentration..... ;-p

Reply to
Al Superczynski

I'm of the opinion that all those putties are 3M products in a private label package. Who wants to pay to have the Dr. Microtools reverse engineered and compared to available products? Cheers,

The Keeper (of too much crap!)

Reply to
Keeper

It's been pretty well-established that Dr. Microtools is essentially the same formulation as the Bondo red stuff, just based on chatter here the last few years. They perform similarly, anyway. I've got a tube of Dr. Microtools that will probably last me another ten years at present usage rates--nice stiff, but I don't need it often, since I rely mainly on CA and microballoons.

Mark Schynert

Reply to
Mark Schynert